Some Questions

Cerebus06
Cerebus06
02/13/2012 5:10 pm
I am not sure if this is the right section for this, but I have a few questions.

I've been playing a long time (25 years), most of that has been hard rock, hair bands, classic rock, etc. However, in the rush to just "play" and have a good time doing so, I circumvented some basics in the beginning, and it began to really show later when I got into bands and couldn't keep up with guys who had those fundamentals already built. I took a hiatus from playing for quite a while, and have recently started playing again, and I want to "fix" the lack of those fundamentals, but am not really sure where to start.

The first thing I'm interested in is finger exercises, and what people would recommend for both precise positioning, as well as building strength in the fingers. I've always had a weak pinky finger, and really need something that will strengthen that up (because I ignored it for years).

The next thing, and again I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, is how to structure a practice session to build on theory and scales. I know the pentatonic scales, but need suggestions on a practice method that builds that knowledge to a point where, when playing, I can simply blast out a lick or run without having to worry I'm going to miss notes.

I'd really appreciate people's opinions and suggestions... thanks.
# 1
compart1
compart1
02/13/2012 9:26 pm
Hi Cerebus06..
Welcome to Guitar Tricks.. I would suggest going right to the very begining..
Zip thru fundamentals one and two to see what you missed in the past. If you find a lesson that has something you don't understand or can't get a grip on, then you can ask in a forum or to instructor.
You might also skim thru the instructors bio and see who has style, genre, technique you favor.
Most of all your going to hear, "the best way to get better is practice practice practice".. Everyone has their own learning curve, environment and time constraints they need to work around to get the best practice sessions. There are plenty of peeps here that will share their experience in learning guitar.
What will help the most, is to note the instructor and the particular lesson you are having trouble with so that they can find where you are at.
I hope this helps you out..
Gordon
# 2
hunter1801
hunter1801
02/13/2012 10:26 pm
He isn't full access, so he can't use the videos here.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.