View post (OLD learners Look here)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
02/26/2012 6:28 pm
I've read the promo notes and a brief review. I've heard a radio/online interview of the author. That all makes me an expert, right? ;)

To criticize the author's guitar skill (even *I* didn't think much of what I heard) or the amount of time he's put into learning is missing the point. Maybe. I think.

I got the impression that the focus of the book is about learning at an age well past adolescence. There is discussion about the rapidity or ease of learning when a child vs. learning later in life (plasticity of the brain). And I think there's discussion about what can be done to mitigate the slower learning of adulthood. If the author can provide some shortcuts to helping the brain do it faster then his book might be worthwhile. Presumably, given the title of the book, the help is keyed to learning guitar vs. some other physical skill, or a language, etc.

I think the author makes a point about there being no substitute for practice...lots of practice. And he also pooh-poohs the notion that successful guitarists must have an inate musical talent. At the same time, he acknowledges there are those that *do* have that inate talent and can do in short time what others take a lifetime to achieve.

*That's* what I think the book is about but then...I haven't read it.:) Has anyone here? It could be encouraging...how to learn...what to do to help one on the way when one has matured and has no musical talent. That calls my name. :D

FYI, the Amazon hardback price has dropped all the way down to $15.44 with another provider's price cheaper than that. Kindle version is $12.99 .
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins