Problems Tuning an Acoustic Guitar

Maddy Lorraine
Maddy Lorraine
01/02/2012 6:28 pm
Help! I'm very new to guitar (which you probably figured out from the subject line!). I don't have any trouble tuning my electric guitar, but I'm having a real problem with tuning my acoustic guitar. When I tune the strings, with a chromatic tuner, everything sounds correct, and the tuner says the tunings are right. However, when I play a note, the tunings on some of the strings are sharp notes (according to the tuner and obvious to the ear). For example, if I tune the B string to B, the C is C#. If I tune it so that the C is C instead of C#, the D# becomes an E.

The guitar is a new Takamine GS330S with the strings that were on it when I bought it. Will replacing the strings resolve the issue or is there something else going on here? Thanks!
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
01/02/2012 7:35 pm
So the open strings are all in tune correctly, but the FRETS are all out of tune by about a half step? Without being able to see what you are talking about I can only make some guesses.

The first thing that I would worry about if that happened to my guitar would be that the neck is warped. With electrics, you can adjust the length of each individual string so that you can make it sharper or flatter if needed. On an acoustic, you are stuck with the string length you have, so the neck has to be good from the start. Because of the way guitars are, it is a little normal for some of the frets to be only SLIGHTLY off. But a half step is a little too much.

You might want to take it to the place you bought it from (or any guitar shop) and have them take a look at it.
# 2
Maddy Lorraine
Maddy Lorraine
01/02/2012 9:02 pm
Yes, you described it perfectly. Open strings are tuned, but some of the fretted notes are a half step off, and a warped neck is what I was worried about. I'll take it back to the place I bought it and let them have a look at it. Thanks!
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.