Major bar chords with root on the A string

BadgerDave52
Full Access
BadgerDave52
Full Access
12/14/2011 3:41 pm
How do you play them? Usually if I need to do an arpeggio or really need the high E to ring I'll fit my 2,3 and 4 fingers on the 3rd fret of the chord. But this is obviously uncomfortable and tough to pull off when getting into higher frets. So most often I just bar the D,G and B with my pinkie or index if omitting the high E doesn't matter much.

Does anyone play by baring the D,G and B with either your index or pinkie and doing that weird angle to let the high E ring? If so, how did you train your finger to learn this? It feels so unnatural.

I was watching Andy Gurley and I have no idea how he frets all the D,B and G with two fingers. Looks like he's fretting the G and B with his pinkie, must have a large pinkie.
# 1
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/16/2011 6:36 am
Hi BadgerDave!

I have made it a habit of playing A string barre chords by playing the root with my pointer finger, and using my ring finger to play the D, G, and B strings. I have tried over the years to use my middle, ring, and pinky to play the top part of the chord but have never found success.

For me, you really get the point across just playing those notes without using the high E string. Also, using your ring finger allows you to have access to other notes that you can hammer on and pull off with your other fingers. This may all sound crazy and unnatural, but just think about how awkward it was the first time you picked up the guitar. It was for all of us.

Like anything, you simply have to practice and with time you will adjust. It's fortunately, and unfortunately, that simple. If I can do it, anyone can.

Best of luck! :)
Douglas Showalter
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.