Is Singing A God Given Talent?

goldy54
goldy54
12/06/2011 2:45 am
I could never understand with all my musical training why I can't sing and why so many people with absolutely no training or instruction what-so-ever can sing really good. Is it in a gene or maybe a god given talent. any thoughts on this???
# 1
Meth3rlence
Meth3rlence
12/06/2011 12:47 pm
Well I definitely wouldn't say God given, but it's definitely down to genes. Training can allow you to sing (in tune), but if you don't have a good singing voice - then you don't have a good singing voice, that part can't be learnt.

Think of it this way, your vocal chords are a guitar - some people are born with awesome custom les pauls, and some people are born with those $40 strats. Sure you can learn to play on both, but the $40 strat will never sound as good as the Les Paul.
# 2
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
12/06/2011 4:06 pm
For rock/pop, most famous bands and "singers" don't actually have very good singing voices... their voices are not very smooth and they often have poor tone and pitch control... but what they do have is character. Look at Bob Dylan or Neil Young for extreme examples...
# 3
goldy54
goldy54
12/06/2011 10:04 pm
Originally Posted by: Meth3rlenceWell I definitely wouldn't say God given, but it's definitely down to genes. Training can allow you to sing (in tune), but if you don't have a good singing voice - then you don't have a good singing voice, that part can't be learnt.

Think of it this way, your vocal chords are a guitar - some people are born with awesome custom les pauls, and some people are born with those $40 strats. Sure you can learn to play on both, but the $40 strat will never sound as good as the Les Paul.

Do you think there is a difference between having a really good voice and being a good singer?
# 4
goldy54
goldy54
12/06/2011 10:08 pm
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardFor rock/pop, most famous bands and "singers" don't actually have very good singing voices... their voices are not very smooth and they often have poor tone and pitch control... but what they do have is character. Look at Bob Dylan or Neil Young for extreme examples...

Good to hear from you again. I think you're right, well put! Thanks
# 5
phillybeatle
phillybeatle
12/11/2011 2:22 pm
I took lessons for years. My first teacher gave me ear training exercises to get started. Once I was able to hit the notes he taught me scales and breathing exercises. Then ( I live in Philadelphia) I went ot a more advance teacher, the same who taught Bobby Rydell etc,he taught me few more things and changed my breathing. Breathing and when to breath is important. He also taught me how to pronounce vowels properly. Recently I started working out of a vocal book from MI press. I am 48 years old and can hit high notes like never before. Not saying I am a great singer just significantly better . I am a littloe hit on Faceboook with my friends and get compliments about my voice. Remember the more you practice scales and hit the notes the better your voice will become. It takes time at least it did for me.
# 6
Anders Mouridsen
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Anders Mouridsen
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/11/2011 5:52 pm
This is a very interesting question. I believe almost anyone can do anything, it's just a matter of how much they have to work on it! Somethings come easy and some things come hard. It's different for everyone- that's what I call "talent"! Some people just seem to be born singing (they may not be though), and some of us really have to work on it. I've recently gone through quite a bit of singing training, and it's working. It's just a matter of working hard enough and being persistent!

But there are some things you can't change. You have the voice you were born with, so the other half is figuring out what style/songs you can sing with the voice you have. Bob Dylan would have probably failed if he was trying to sing like Otis Redding or Frank Sinatra, and vice versa!

So work on the chops, and find out what your instrument works well for. Imagine you were born with a certain guitar/amp. You need to practice your skills and then you need to figure out what sounds you can obtain with this instrument and how you can tweak it to make it work in other musical contexts!

Happy holidays,
Anders
# 7
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/12/2011 10:45 pm
I started singing in bands when I was 14 years old. It's not that I thought I was good, I just didn't know anyone else who could sing or write lyrics. Doing it myself taught me a lot for many years, but around age 20 I opted to let someone else take the lead so I could focus on guitar.

I would always sing back up, and many time would write the vocal parts for the singer. Fast forward a few years, and I was living in LA finally with people who could really sing and write. Meeting great singers made me realize how much I needed to work on my tone and intonation. I took more vocals lessons, and was a mediocre singer at best after nearly 10 years.

Last year, I recorded some vocals for an original project, and was so mortified by the result that I was certain something was wrong with the mic or some plug-in was on my voice. Nope. I sounded bad. After that I went to another voice teacher, sang the parts and she helped me tremendously. I was singing out of my rage, and not producing good tone. She gave me some tips that now allow me to sing confidently pretty much all the time. I am not a great singer, but I can confidently sing in tune with good tone most of the time.

The reason for this story? I had been trying to sing for 13 years before I figured out that it's about finding what fits your voice. Some people want to sound like someone else so bad, while ignoring their own potential. Once we settle into what range your voice works best in and what stylistically suites you, you WILL be a good singer. I like the comment about Bob Dylan, as he sounds like him and the rest is history.

Find YOUR voice, and I think you will be surprised at how good you can sound.

- Douglas :D
Douglas Showalter
# 8
goldy54
goldy54
12/13/2011 3:24 am
Originally Posted by: Douglas ShowalterI started singing in bands when I was 14 years old. It's not that I thought I was good, I just didn't know anyone else who could sing or write lyrics. Doing it myself taught me a lot for many years, but around age 20 I opted to let someone else take the lead so I could focus on guitar.

I would always sing back up, and many time would write the vocal parts for the singer. Fast forward a few years, and I was living in LA finally with people who could really sing and write. Meeting great singers made me realize how much I needed to work on my tone and intonation. I took more vocals lessons, and was a mediocre singer at best after nearly 10 years.

Last year, I recorded some vocals for an original project, and was so mortified by the result that I was certain something was wrong with the mic or some plug-in was on my voice. Nope. I sounded bad. After that I went to another voice teacher, sang the parts and she helped me tremendously. I was singing out of my rage, and not producing good tone. She gave me some tips that now allow me to sing confidently pretty much all the time. I am not a great singer, but I can confidently sing in tune with good tone most of the time.

The reason for this story? I had been trying to sing for 13 years before I figured out that it's about finding what fits your voice. Some people want to sound like someone else so bad, while ignoring their own potential. Once we settle into what range your voice works best in and what stylistically suites you, you WILL be a good singer. I like the comment about Bob Dylan, as he sounds like him and the rest is history.

Find YOUR voice, and I think you will be surprised at how good you can sound.

- Douglas :D

Alright Douglas, You made me want to put my first video lesson up. Let me know what you think. I have thick skin, so be honest. Thanks for your time.
http://voicecoach.evplayer.com/?seed=steve1
# 9
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/16/2011 7:07 am
That was quite an experience.

Sounds like you are on your way man. I would say just keep working on your tone, as you seem to know your range and you fit the country style well.

However, your intonation is still a little out. That can be helped by simply singing scales, singing along with melodies on an instrument; the methods are endless to help with that. Staying in tune is key. :)

I found a lot of help through using the CD that came with this book. I don't think I have ever even opened the book, but the CD I have completely worn out. Give it a try, and thanks for posting this. Very brave indeed!

The Contemporary Singer
Douglas Showalter
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.