Picking and Hammer/Pulls

Meth3rlence
Meth3rlence
11/27/2011 11:53 am
Ok, so my issue is really that I just can't seem to mix hammers/pulls with picking. I either want to pick every note, or hammer+pull every note. I can do either just fine, but when it comes to playing a phrase with both - I just... flop?

Anyone else have/had this issue? Any methods for fixing my issue? ;o
# 1
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
11/27/2011 5:47 pm
Well the trick is always patience and play slowly, very slowly if you need to, untill you get the hang of it. Then you up the tempo. A lot of guitarist want to play lighning fast like the big names out there. But those big names started to play very slowly like everyone else. So lets do the same :)
# 2
Matteo Miller
Matteo Miller
11/30/2011 8:12 pm
Agreed! Well said Sebastian...

Actually, playing ANY technique in isolation is a LOT easier than combining it with other techniques.

There's three levels of guitar playing, really... Learning and understanding new information, being able to use it to make real music, and then INTEGRATING the new information with your other skills so you can mix techniques seamlessly.

I suggest to make a list of several techniques that you know pretty well, and practice jumping from one technique to the next. Pick two or three to start with, and then sort of mix and match until you feel comfortable with switching between techniques.

This little exercise will take your guitar playing to a WHOLE nother level. ;)
Matteo Miller-Nicolato
Free Progressive Metal-Jazz-Punk Fusion Music
www.matteomillernicolato.com/Music.html

San Diego School of Guitar
Free Guitar Playing Instructional Resources
www.guitarlessonsinsandiego.com/Resources.html
# 3
Chayakorn
Chayakorn
12/01/2011 9:10 am
Originally Posted by: Matteo MillerAgreed! Well said Sebastian...

Actually, playing ANY technique in isolation is a LOT easier than combining it with other techniques.

There's three levels of guitar playing, really... Learning and understanding new information, being able to use it to make real music, and then INTEGRATING the new information with your other skills so you can mix techniques seamlessly.

I suggest to make a list of several techniques that you know pretty well, and practice jumping from one technique to the next. Pick two or three to start with, and then sort of mix and match until you feel comfortable with switching between techniques.

This little exercise will take your guitar playing to a WHOLE nother level. ;)

Very Good advice ;)

\m/
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.