What are you thankful for musicially

joshbeetler
joshbeetler
11/22/2011 4:20 pm
I have been doing music as a passion since I was 12 years old.

My family was hesitant at first but eventually knew I was not going to quit and they turned to supporting me. Since then, I have found a huge amount of helpful people along this path that have helped and I know without them this journey would not have been possible.

What are you thankful for that allows you to play, write, express?
-Josh Beetler

"When you face the sun, the shadows always fall behind you"

-Hellen Keller
# 1
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
11/22/2011 4:53 pm
Eddie Van Halen.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 2
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
11/22/2011 6:36 pm
My motorcycle addicent... Sounds funny but its true. I had a near fatal motorcycle accident 6 years ago.

Before that day, music was more a on and off hobby then anything else. Never really had the time or took the time, to unlock my passion for music. After my accident, I was confined home and couldnt do nothing. Insurance where taking care of the money side so I could stay home and not work but what to do ? That's when I picked up my guitar after some years without playing and said :" I got the free time now ! " :)

Well it's been 6 years since my accident now and I'm still holding my guitar :P Now I play a minimun of 2 hours per day and my music skills are growing and growing.

Also, at the hospital, I met the woman that would become the mother of my 2 sons (1 of them still in the belly for another 2 months). She makes a lot more money then me and we agreed that I stay home to take care of the kids, untill they start school. So I got the time to practice and play guitar everyday.

My accident was the best thing that happened to me musically, and in all the other parts of my life as well :)
# 3
Meth3rlence
Meth3rlence
11/22/2011 6:56 pm
eBay. And no, that's not sarcasm. Finding exactly the guitar you want is so much easier and cheaper now there's somewhere to go for them :p
# 4
adir olf
adir olf
11/23/2011 2:21 am
I'm thankful that I held onto that guitar my dad bought me back in 1985 and toted it around for 20 years (no joke) till I started taking lessons!!!!

How about that!! ??

Oh and of course, I'm very thankful for GT, cuz otherwise I couldnt really afford, either financially or time wise, to take lessions.

just like the saying says: all in due time
:D
Adir olf
My new "best group ever": THE YAWPERS
Rocking acoustics really hard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpkAhifOvw
# 5
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
11/23/2011 7:05 am
I'd have to say Lisa McCormick for all her great lessons and re-kindling my interest in acoustic guitar. I love her finger-picking lessons! Really, worth the price of admission right there. Definitely a big "I'm grateful for..." to Christopher and the other guitar tricks instructors who tirelessly respond to people's questions on the forum as well as giving great lessons.

I'm also grateful for the instant cure for carpal tunnel syndrome... they're coming out with that soon, right?
# 6
hunter1801
hunter1801
11/23/2011 7:23 am
Every opportunity I've gotten to play on stage
# 7
Chayakorn
Chayakorn
11/23/2011 2:58 pm
Everynote that I hear and play ;)

\m/
# 8
joshbeetler
joshbeetler
11/23/2011 3:20 pm
Originally Posted by: SebastBergMy motorcycle addicent... Sounds funny but its true. I had a near fatal motorcycle accident 6 years ago.

Before that day, music was more a on and off hobby then anything else. Never really had the time or took the time, to unlock my passion for music. After my accident, I was confined home and couldnt do nothing. Insurance where taking care of the money side so I could stay home and not work but what to do ? That's when I picked up my guitar after some years without playing and said :" I got the free time now ! " :)

Well it's been 6 years since my accident now and I'm still holding my guitar :P Now I play a minimun of 2 hours per day and my music skills are growing and growing.

Also, at the hospital, I met the woman that would become the mother of my 2 sons (1 of them still in the belly for another 2 months). She makes a lot more money then me and we agreed that I stay home to take care of the kids, untill they start school. So I got the time to practice and play guitar everyday.

My accident was the best thing that happened to me musically, and in all the other parts of my life as well :)

This is one of the coolest stories I've ever heard. Congratulations, isn't it funny what life teaches you in the weirdest ways
-Josh Beetler

"When you face the sun, the shadows always fall behind you"

-Hellen Keller
# 9
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/23/2011 10:17 pm
I like posts like this. More of these :)

My musical thanks extends out to three main things;
1. My Father
2. My Friends
3. Being a Fan First

I would say the key part to what has led me to make music my passion and living is the support of my parents. My father plays guitar, and exposed me to music at a very young age. I found an identity through metal music at 8 years old, and around the same time he got me my first guitar.

As a teenager I was encouraged by friends to start a band, and I have been making racket ever since. These days, my friends are colleagues and fellow noise makers that inspire me every day. This can also be quite frustrating, but in the best of ways.

As a guitarist, I still take lessons and nerd out over pedals and whacky sounds. As a producer, I am constantly listening to music both new and old to learn new techniques and tricks. As a songwriter I work with people every day to be a better writer and lyricist. It's a never ending battle, and I wouldn't have it any other way. At the core I am a music nerd, and a huge fan. Staying this way allows me the mindset to forever learn and grow.

Great post, and looking forward to reading more responses. :D
Douglas Showalter
# 10
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
11/24/2011 10:24 pm
Originally Posted by: Douglas ShowalterI would say the key part to what has led me to make music my passion and living is the support of my parents. My father plays guitar, and exposed me to music at a very young age.

Hopefully that's what my kids say in a couple of years :)
I wont pressure them, offcourse, but I'll open there eyes...or ears... to the wonderfull world of music. And maybe someday one of them will be hanging out somewhere in a weird floating music cafe over a dirty/dusty planet earth and talk about soul and blues. Lets hope that everyone they talk to in those days will say :"oh ya ! blues ! Great music!" :P
# 11
Gregory Pantin
Gregory Pantin
11/25/2011 6:28 pm
Great story SebastBerg... One bad incident led to so many opportunities... who would've thought...

Musically... I'm thankful for
The Internet (wouldn't have learned half the things I did today or have had the inspiration I do today)
My buddy who encouraged me to begin playing...
My Mom's 1975 DiGeorgio guitar which she had laying around for 25 years... (which I began playing on 7 years go)
# 12
Maddy Lorraine
Maddy Lorraine
11/27/2011 5:01 pm
I'm thankful for the Internet. It's such a different world from when I was a kid!

I'm thankful for Guitar Tricks. It does a fabulous job of breaking it all down for a newbie.

I'm thankful my mother made me take piano lessons as a child. I wasn't happy with it then, as I wanted to play guitar! I still enjoy playing the piano, though, and I read music well (something it seems a lot of my guitar-playing friends through the years have struggled with).

I'm thankful for the people who have given me musical instruments through the years when I couldn't afford them on my own, allowing me to continue to play music (the friend of my mothers who gave me a piano, my ex-husband's grandmother who gave me an accordion, the friend who abandoned a guitar at my house).

I'm thankful for all the women who broke the mold and had the audacity to play the instruments they wanted to play. This may seem odd to younger people, but back in the day, girls in bands played acoustic guitar or nothing (well, tambourines were permissible and maybe keyboard!). It was a novelty that Karen Carpenter played drums. When the band Heart first recorded, every article about them marveled over the girl guitar player.
# 13
AnneFender
AnneFender
11/29/2011 2:44 pm
i am thankful for John Paul George and Ringo and Mick Keith Charlie Bill Ronny and Brian , hey Thanks Guys !!!!!! , i miss you George soooooooo much
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.