View post (stuck, dont know how to progress from this)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
11/24/2011 6:36 am
Originally Posted by: wingman23as you can see im very stiff and need to be more fluid in my playing

I wouldn't agree really... I think you're pretty fluid and getting a good sense of style.. I know what you mean about the plunky thing, but you're movements and runs sound smooth.. really amazing for 4 months! One thing I notice is that it sounds like (especially on the second video) that you're letting the backing music lead you, and you're sorting just going along with it. Its totally up to you what "feeds you" with your playing, but what I'd suggest in pushing yourself creatively is try and literally take the lead with your guitar... listen to solo playing in "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd, and "Smooth" by Santana.. in both of those tracks, a very distinct guitar tone and style take center stage over the rest of the backing music, albeit in very different ways. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying play like those guys... I'm just saying listen to how the lead guitar is the focus in those pieces. Maybe try simplifying your backing tracks so its just a simple beat, bass line, and strings for keyboards if any... that will allow your soloing room to expand, breathe, and stand out more. Man, in a year you're going to be one of the instructors on this site at the rate you're going though! Nice job!