stuck, dont know how to progress from this

wingman23
wingman23
11/20/2011 8:08 pm
been playing now about 4 months i think, and my playing is ok i suppose for the time ive been doing it, but im stuck now i dont know how to move forward what i should be learning next, i cant seem to get past playing like this (ignore the mistakes, im not perfect)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzscz6dA21E

what should i do next, work on my speed or better phrasing or what (all i do is improv over backing tracks... any constructive advice welcome..

thanks ;-)
# 1
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/20/2011 8:29 pm
Is this you playing after only 4 months??

If so, I am very impressed! You must have played other instruments before?

Whatever you've been doing, it seems to be paying off :) Just imagine where you will be after 8 months, or 8 years!

---

I think you could practice your bends and vibrato a bit more though. Try to get the bends spot on, and maybe experiment with some wide slow vibrato in a slow ballad song like this one?

Practicing bends with a tuner is a good way of seeing if you're bending flat or sharp.

You could also work on dynamics a bit - play really aggressive once in a while, really pick the notes hard, and then go back to soft playing...

---

I will say it again - very good job!
# 2
wingman23
wingman23
11/20/2011 8:43 pm
thanks for the advice and the encouragement, ive not played any instruments before, well i dabbled a bit with the keyboard but soon lost interest because its boring, i just practice a lot :-) part of me wishes i could play a little more fluid and a bit faster but i guess that will come in time..
# 3
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/20/2011 9:35 pm
If you've learned this much in 4 months, fluency and speed will definitely come soon enough.

It's very unusual to be able to play like you after less than a year, so you should be very proud and keep on practicing! Speed can take a bit longer to develop, so have patience :)
# 4
Meth3rlence
Meth3rlence
11/20/2011 9:47 pm
As above, you're very good for just 4 months. I didn't hear many (if any) "bum" notes - accuracy tends to be a problem in the early months but you seem to have nailed it.
As for where to go next though.. It's largely up to you - what do you WANT to be able to do? Do you want to keep on playing ballad improvs? Play the blues? Jazz? Rock? Heavy metal? Speed metal? Classical? Punk? Once you answer that, I think you'll see what you need to do next :)
# 5
wingman23
wingman23
11/20/2011 10:44 pm
Originally Posted by: Ben LindholmIf you've learned this much in 4 months, fluency and speed will definitely come soon enough.

It's very unusual to be able to play like you after less than a year, :)

that surprises me you saying that, cos i listen to the other guitarist on here and i think i sound rubbish by comparison, to me i still sound very plinky plonky (if thats the right word) but then i dont know how long they have been playing, probably a long time but because they all seem very young to me i presume they cant have been :-)

@Meth3rlence im not sure what direction i want to go in thats half the battle i think, id like to be able to develop my speed but dont like that shredding stuff, but i know if i only play that Gary Moore type slow ballad which i love the best i'll never get any faster.. :-)
# 6
hunter1801
hunter1801
11/21/2011 12:59 am
I don't think you have anything to worry about at all if this is really you after picking up a guitar 4 months ago.
# 7
minexs
Full Access
minexs
Full Access
11/21/2011 1:30 am
ive been practicing just over 3months and you leave me for dead, (you are way more advanced than me) i put in about 1-2hrs a day.

if that helps give you an idea.

cheers

peter
# 8
Meth3rlence
Meth3rlence
11/21/2011 8:01 am
Originally Posted by: wingman23@Meth3rlence im not sure what direction i want to go in thats half the battle i think, id like to be able to develop my speed but dont like that shredding stuff, but i know if i only play that Gary Moore type slow ballad which i love the best i'll never get any faster.. :-)

Then I suggest trying to play something you wouldn't normally, and practice new styles - you may find something you like and it'll help round you off a bit. Challenging yourself is the best way to grow ^_^

Just go through the song list on the site - pick one and just learn it.
# 9
wingman23
wingman23
11/21/2011 8:10 am
Originally Posted by: hunter1801I don't think you have anything to worry about at all if this is really you after picking up a guitar 4 months ago.

yeah about 4 months something like that, i think this sort of music must be easier to play than people imagine,and i used to practice 6 hours a day at the beginning but had to stop doing that because my fingers blistered so i cut it down to only a few hours a day..
Here's a video of me playing after about 12 weeks into it..sounds a bit rubbish as its played straight into the cam and not done with any recording software, as you can see im very stiff and need to be more fluid in my playing but im sure that will come with more practice ( i hope)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRBwbJvpGPc
# 10
Maddy Lorraine
Maddy Lorraine
11/24/2011 4:13 am
Originally Posted by: wingman23yeah about 4 months something like that,...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRBwbJvpGPc

Seriously? Four months? I only just picked up a guitar to play for the first time today, so I don't have anything useful to contribute to the thread. I just wanted to say that you're an inspiration!
# 11
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
11/24/2011 6:36 am
Originally Posted by: wingman23as you can see im very stiff and need to be more fluid in my playing

I wouldn't agree really... I think you're pretty fluid and getting a good sense of style.. I know what you mean about the plunky thing, but you're movements and runs sound smooth.. really amazing for 4 months! One thing I notice is that it sounds like (especially on the second video) that you're letting the backing music lead you, and you're sorting just going along with it. Its totally up to you what "feeds you" with your playing, but what I'd suggest in pushing yourself creatively is try and literally take the lead with your guitar... listen to solo playing in "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd, and "Smooth" by Santana.. in both of those tracks, a very distinct guitar tone and style take center stage over the rest of the backing music, albeit in very different ways. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying play like those guys... I'm just saying listen to how the lead guitar is the focus in those pieces. Maybe try simplifying your backing tracks so its just a simple beat, bass line, and strings for keyboards if any... that will allow your soloing room to expand, breathe, and stand out more. Man, in a year you're going to be one of the instructors on this site at the rate you're going though! Nice job!
# 12
neal_wakefield
neal_wakefield
11/24/2011 8:08 pm
Hi,

I suggest you practice more on string bending and vibrato + timing.

Remember to stay positive and motivated - once you have this, everything can be learned!

Try to keep balance between practicing technique and practicing musical things (like ear training, theory, phrasing etc).

_
Neal Wakefield
# 13
wingman23
wingman23
11/24/2011 9:36 pm
Thanks guys for the tips, i certainly need to work on my theory a lot as at the moment i only play what i hear i dont really know anything about the theory of it all and i really would like to be able to play the same thing twice, thats the trouble with improvisation, its hard to remember what you did :-) whats that steve via says to beginners, learn every note on every string off by heart, erm im lucky if i can remember the open strings (repeat after me) Every Arab Dog Growls Before Eating. lol...

I must say though that ive learned all i have from Guitar Tricks so if im playing ok for the time ive been at it, then i have these guys to thank...

Good here init ;-)
# 14
neal_wakefield
neal_wakefield
11/24/2011 9:52 pm
It doesn't matter so much if you don't know music theory as long as you can play what you want.

I suggest you learn some. You will have a better perspective in improvisation and you will have another useful tool.
# 15
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/25/2011 9:56 am
Originally Posted by: wingman23Every Arab Dog Growls Before Eating. lol...

Haha, here's the Swedish one (goes backwards):

"En Ball Groda Dansar Aldrig Ensam"

Translation: "A cool frog never dances alone"
# 16
MichiganMAR
MichiganMAR
11/26/2011 10:30 pm
ive been playing for the same amount of time as you as im not even close to this good. you have really motivated me
# 17
Matteo Miller
Matteo Miller
11/30/2011 8:33 pm
I would suggest to learn open chords (or barre chords if you already know them), and the chord formula:

C major - D minor - E minor - F major - G major - A minor - B diminished

I - ii - iii - IV - V - vi - vii*

The roman numerals fit the chords above... If you learn how to play these chords using barre chords, you can move the WHOLE progression up and down the fretboard to change keys...

Thing is, these chords all fit into a key, which means you can create your own chord progressions! Which mean, you can write songs!! You can also jam with anybody if they know the pentatonic scale or something

Start on a I chord, and pick any 3 other chords for example:

I - ii - IV - V
C major - D minor - F major - G major

play those chords using some sort of cool rhythm/strumming pattern you think up, and ... voila, you've got a verse of a song!

if you need me to clear up this whole concept, I will be glad. I didn't go into too much detail.
Matteo Miller-Nicolato
Free Progressive Metal-Jazz-Punk Fusion Music
www.matteomillernicolato.com/Music.html

San Diego School of Guitar
Free Guitar Playing Instructional Resources
www.guitarlessonsinsandiego.com/Resources.html
# 18
wingman23
wingman23
12/31/2011 9:45 pm
thanks guys for the nice comments.. ive started on a new style of music now, i heard it and i liked the way it sounded, still find it hard to listen to the music and play in time properly though, still early days but its fun learning though

@matteo, i can play all my basic chords and bar chords too, i dont know how that relates to what you said as that seems like a foreign language to me just now. "I - ii - iii - IV - V - vi - vii* "
# 19
neal_wakefield
neal_wakefield
01/01/2012 9:58 pm
Originally Posted by: wingman23thanks guys for the nice comments.. ive started on a new style of music now, i heard it and i liked the way it sounded, still find it hard to listen to the music and play in time properly though, still early days but its fun learning though

@matteo, i can play all my basic chords and bar chords too, i dont know how that relates to what you said as that seems like a foreign language to me just now. "I - ii - iii - IV - V - vi - vii* "

Just keep being passionate and be sure to progress constantly - and you will see the outcomes.

matteo suggested you played all the triads connected with a major scale.

Each major scale has 7 notes and taking every note you can build a chord. This is related with topics of building scales, triads and modes. I suggest you learn something about it - it is one of a great tools of musical development.

Spend a few minutes each day doing finding valuable materials on music theory and "I - ii - iii - IV - V - vi - vii " will be clear for you.

Good luck :)
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.