Finger picking a chord

usarmymedicine
usarmymedicine
11/12/2011 8:50 pm
I just started the finger picking lessons with Lisa McCormick. My question, which may be answered in upcoming lessons, is how do I know which string to play in the 4 step pattern? For example, the 4 strings for the D chord are common sense, but say its a C chord, them I have 4 notes and 5 strings to choose from. The root note makes sense, but are there rules on which of the other I should play? or is it based on what sound I want? Looking at the G chord, there are even more options it could be. Just curious.
# 1
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
11/12/2011 11:51 pm
Well there's no rules really. You pick what sounds best. Focusing on different notes/part of the chord will change the mood. You ear is the best judge.
# 2
adir olf
adir olf
11/14/2011 1:31 am
Hi

I just finished with the fingerpicking series you mention. It is great! Lisa does show you which strings to use when fingerpicking a chord so maybe you just haven't gotten there yet. There are many variations of the 4 step pattern too she will go through, each pattern with different chords/bass notes.

I also found a new fingerpicking lesson, it is one you'd go to after finishing Lisa's series. It is by Mick Leonardi and called The John Prine Artist series. It is quite enjoyable and easy to follow.
Can't wait to finish it.

Based on your user name... are you military? if so, thanks for your service to the country

Good luck!
:D
Adir olf
My new "best group ever": THE YAWPERS
Rocking acoustics really hard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpkAhifOvw
# 3
usarmymedicine
usarmymedicine
11/14/2011 10:34 pm
Thanks to you both! I am really enjoying this lesson and will look at the other once I finish. Yes, I am military and thank you very much for your kind words.
# 4
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
11/15/2011 6:04 pm
Just a quick addition to the other responses (which are right on the money, btw), but for now, a quick rule of thumb is that as you change chords, your thumb will follow the base note, and your other three fingers will keep picking the same three strings. Eventually you'll want to mix and match to your heart's content, but for now, this will give you a consistent sound. Lisa's lesson's are great... just follow each one, step by step, and don't move on until you've got the current lesson down. She gets into some really cool stuff towards the end. Good luck!
# 5
Daew
Daew
11/21/2011 7:55 pm
You can use any combination depending on how you want it to sound, you will get the feeling for it naturally as you become better.

As you know, tetrachords are made of 3 tones (1, 3, 5), you obviously play 1 (root) with thumb and then with your other fingers you should hit each of the 3 and 5 at least one time. Depending on this you also get 6/4 and 6 chords.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.