Scale Patterns

froggy62
froggy62
11/04/2011 10:15 pm
Please somebody direct me to a basic simple ease to read simple and did I menton simple minor pentatonic blues scale patterns in all the differnt keys. the shapes really help to know if I know what frets and what key?? PLEASE
# 1
froggy62
froggy62
11/05/2011 2:52 pm
Im confused other instructors have shown different versions and some of the same of the blues sale which up to now I have thought is the same. I will use the scales here on guitar tricks but I see that there is a blues scale and minor pentatonic scale so they are not the same, other thatn the obvious what is the difference. My main focus is blues what the heck I am confused as what to concentrate on learning first, heeeellllpppp!!!!
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/05/2011 3:41 pm
Originally Posted by: froggy62Please somebody direct me to a basic simple ease to read simple and did I menton simple minor pentatonic blues scale patterns in all the differnt keys. the shapes really help to know if I know what frets and what key?? PLEASE

Are you working on the blues course or some specific lesson?

The basic minor pentatonic scale box shape this pattern:

|---|-1-|---|---|-3-|---|
|---|-5-|---|---|-7-|---|
|---|-3-|---|-4-|---|---|
|---|-7-|---|-1-|---|---|
|---|-4-|---|-5-|---|---|

The "blues scale" is simply the minor pentatonic scale with the addition of the flat 5th scale degree:

|---|-5-|---|---|-7-|---|
|---|-3-|---|-4-|-b5|---|
|---|-7-|---|-1-|---|---|
|---|-4-|-b5|-5-|---|---|

Here are a couple of very simple beginner basic tutorials that will show you how to use these scales:

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=170
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=918

This tutorial teaches the theory of the pentatonic scale, why those box patterns are shaped as they are:

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=296

Some of the lessons using pentatonic scales, patterns & licks might be confusing because the notes of the boxes overlap & repeat each other in many places. This is because you can often play the same note in more than one place on the guitar!

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
froggy62
froggy62
11/06/2011 3:42 pm
I freeking love you guys. Answering your ? no specific just have more iintwerest towards the blues and its me getting way ahead of myself. This will help alot and i will be getting into the courese. Thanks
# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/07/2011 1:45 pm
Originally Posted by: froggy62Answering your ? no specific just have more iintwerest towards the blues and its me getting way ahead of myself. This will help alot and i will be getting into the courese. Thanks

OK, gotcha. The Blues courses are great because they will give you the info & show you what to do with it in equal measures! You are welcome for the reply. Have fun!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.