Doubling??

munqy
munqy
03/06/2002 1:01 pm
I have been playing the guitar for 6 years - without any prior lessons - and recently i decided to take some. I discovered that i had developed an array of bad habbits and the worst one is the fact that i use "doubling" in solos. When i play solos - i naturally start picking like crazy - where my right hand is vibrating faster than my left hand can catch up with .... The problem is that my guitar teacher said that when i play such fast solos i end up hitting one note more than once because my right hand is much faster than my left , and so it can't catch up. How do i solve such a problem? He told me to play the same solo's but to slow down and practice slow alternate picking with a metronome ... then gradually build up. But then i'm playing children of bodom / savatage solo's and slowing down tottally messes me up with speed. Is there another method of curring this bad habbit.(and can i solve this problem b4 i'm 18 ??)
real tyte bro \m/
# 1
Gulder
Gulder
03/06/2002 1:37 pm
You should do what your teacher sais. He's afterall your teacher. Slow down, relax. First learn the paterns combined with the picking then gradulately start playing faster. Like so many wise men told before: 'You need to learn how to crawl before you can walk' It might sound like ****, but once you've got the fingering nailed I'm sure you'll get the picking done too. There is no 'easy' way to correct a mistake like that I think. You have memorised for 6 years to 'doublepick' the notes, well, it will take some time to unlearn in and do play it how it should be done. It depends on you how long it takes you learn it right. Besides, speed isn't everything, learn the patterns then speed it up. Owyeah, and you should use alternate picking ! You paid for a teacher well, you should listen to him :)
# 2
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
03/06/2002 2:02 pm
That's the advice I would give you too... Play slow, then build up from there. If it messes you up, it's because you weren't accurate enough (and when you play fast, it tends to hide itself).

# 3

03/06/2002 5:29 pm

I have the same problem and been playing for ten years.

Listen to your teacher, I never had one and now suffer for past mistakes.

The worst thing with that problem is your thinking about shredding more than playing. I know I am. I feel frustrated about my left hand not being fast enough but you need to control those urges to shred.

Also, in my case, in tend to push too hard on my left hand. Wanting to play as fast as my right hand I sometimes feel burns in the left hand. We all know what that means, tendons and ligaments under tension! Wath out for this. Buy starting slow like the other suggest, you will also train your tendons and avoid painfull injuries.
# 4
munqy
munqy
03/07/2002 9:15 am
Thanx for the advice guys. I'm actually alot closer to my goal than i think ... well thats what me teacher sez. The problem was that i used lighting fast alternate picking and that i "accidetally" hit a note twice ( or even three times or more ) but its almost solved now. I agree that i'm trying to shred b4 i can play properly ... I've nailed teh flexibility but not exactly so much accuracy ... (as i found out when jamming) as my timming is teh biggest problem when slowing down. Oh well ... so far so good ... another 6 months till i'm 18 theres time for improvement.
real tyte bro \m/
# 5
river
river
03/13/2002 1:01 pm
--0-3-5-7-8-10-12------0-0-0-0-0-0--0--0----------
-0-0-0-0-0-0--0-------0-1-3-5-7-8-10-12--------
-----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------
============================================
============================================

-------------------------------------------
--1-3-5-7-8-10-12----0-0-0-0-0-0--0-----------------------
-0-0-0-0-0-0--0-----0-2-4-5-7-9-11-12---------------------
-----------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------
practice this stuff...try playin the string yer
fretting open every other time. do it with the
other strings too.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.