Incidents happen i need ur help

arti_scan
arti_scan
03/05/2002 4:06 pm
Incidents happen

ive read some of ya replies and ya seem to know what ya talkin bout, i want ur help.firstyl can u point me in the direction of good web sites for theory etc, also are u self taught or taught by sum1??if self taught can u tell me what i should do to get better, as i am findin it hard to find a way to progress my learnin.

thank u

Arti
# 1
zeb985
zeb985
03/05/2002 4:15 pm
Ive been playing know for around two years. Im self taught and im in the process of finding an instructor right now. So my suggestion to you is find an instructor, the quicker the better off you'll be. I personally think an instructor can help tear down the walls you hit and cant seem to get past. Especially sence they have been their before.
two wrongs dont make a right but three lefts do.
# 2
arti_scan
arti_scan
03/05/2002 4:18 pm
thanxs for the advice, i had considered it but i am a little poor to do so!!!i ve gotta buy a new amp and other crap and so its kinda outta of the question at da mo!what have u done to learn for the past two years??
Arti
# 3
zeb985
zeb985
03/05/2002 4:54 pm
The way I started was i ordered guitar method one from emedia (found on e-media web site) for the computer which helped me to learn chords and a couple of easy songs. also after finishing each chapter it gives a list of what songs you should be able to learn with applying the knowledge in the chapter. The list of song are up to date with current artists so if you go that route youll be able to find some song you like at the end of each chapter. Other than that I try to learn things on different sites. Bought books on Theory, scales, and chords. Most important though is i set up a routine to practice by. I add a chord a week to my vocabulary and I run through all the chords I know before i start playing anything. I do the same with scales but it takes me a little more time than a week to flow through a new scale with out making mental erros. And as far as picking i learned to sweep pick from the begining(picking down than up). If sitting around watching a tv show or something mute the strings with your left hand and just pick away. Go down then up all 6-strings then try doing every other string. PLay around and have fun.
two wrongs dont make a right but three lefts do.
# 4
nechako
nechako
03/05/2002 11:58 pm
http://www.wholenote.com
# 5
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
03/06/2002 4:13 am
the best thing to do is find a good guitar teacher, and let him know your interested in music theory. Thats what i did, and so far its been pretty good. I've been playing less than a year, but since i practice a lot i can do some things that kids that have been playing 2 years longer than me cant do.
If you keep your mind open to anything that can be considered music, it makes it even easier (to me at least). I like country, blues, jazz,rock, classic rock, psychadelic rock (sp?), acid rock, reggae, some funk, anything except heavy metal.
I bought a scale book called "The Incredible Scale Finder" it has thousands of scales in that book, and its incredible. I recommend it to anybody who wants to get deeper in Music theory.
I have the flu right now so i might not be on here for a day or two :(...
# 6
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
03/11/2002 1:02 am
hmmm... I'm self taught, been playing a little under a year... (had a guitar for a year and a half, but I've put it away so many times and for so long because i had exams etc etc)..
Music theory is great... but It needs a maths like mind... it's difficult to explain... I mean how old are you? If your in your early teens you might need help... i'm not that free in the faniacail department, so i've had to "borrow" books from the library... ask here... um, but being self taught is quite a difficult path to take, and sometimes, you need encouragment and there's no one there to give it... so motivation can become a problem... but if you'r like me who plays out of couriousity, and most importantly has fun, being self taugh isn't that bad.. i mean you start to correct your own mistakes with out noticing... I mean i saw an clip of me playing in the early stages, and i played crooked, my fingers were at an angle, my palm / knuckles were not parrlel with the side of the neck, and my thumb was nowhere near the centre of the neck... but i switched, with out noticing... and yes there are quircks in my technique, but i've over taken poeple of my age who started the same time i did, except their theory and practical and very tightly bond, mine are too seperate things... one is like imagining my fingures and the frett board, the other is visulising the notes on a keyboard (wich i find helps theory)...
but yeah, the best advice i can give you is to read what you can get... dont worry if something looks complicated... when you understand it, you'll be insulted at the idea of finding it difficult... like the idea of naming chords, when i first started, i thought F-me!!!! How am i suppoused to tell betweem A7, diminished, minor, add9, sus 2 or 4 etc etc... but the ideas are very very simple, just the bastid names are off putting...
good luck, and have fun... (doodling and improvising is not always a waste of time... but doing too much of anything can be a waste).
# 7
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
03/14/2002 12:59 am
improvising is never a bad thing if you keep learning new scales, thouroughly,then you are increasing your musical vocabulary.
# 8
FretSlug
FretSlug
03/14/2002 4:37 pm
One thing you might want to learn are the modes and how they work. The modes increase your musical skills a lot.

One good book is "A modern method for guitar" or a book serie that is.. It's not very new but it has almost everything and it doesn't teach you anything about any styles, just basic plain stuff.

For example Steve Vai and John Petrucci have played the book and now it throughout because they have gone the Berklee University that teaches the book for it's a musical university or something like that..

"If practise makes perfect, and no one is perfect, why practise? Duh.."
# 9
nechako
nechako
03/14/2002 9:40 pm
true fret slug it's a good series to work through, it has a lot of content. I've been going back again and again for the past 8 years to book one reviewing the basics.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.