Chord Finder problems

jwsadler
jwsadler
05/31/2011 6:53 am
I sent this as an email a couple of weeks ago, but got no follow-up other than the original acknowledgement. Posting here in hopes of action.

Chord finder is broken. I tried to use it just now for the first time, and was disappointed to find that the fingerings it presents are (a) not always idiomatic and (b) physically impossible in many cases. As an example, select F maj 7 and look at variations 2 and 3: absurd - they contain physically impossible fingerings.

While we're on the topic, as a left handed guitarist, I find the horizontal fretboard representation confusing. A vertical format conforms more closely to standard fingering notation and is easier for lefties (and probably righties as well) to use.

In case anyone on the team is interested, I would have expected to see the following fingerings for an Fmaj7 as they are the most commonly used that I'm aware of:
EADGBE
V1: 1 x 2 2 1 x
V2: x x 3 2 1 0
V3: x 8 10 9 10 8
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
05/31/2011 5:49 pm
Hi,
We were kind of embarrassed by that one. We thought we had QA'd it pretty good, but clearly we didn't. Thanks for reporting it.

We are working on a fix. But also we are working on several enhancements to make the chord finder more like the scale finder (printable chords is the major difference). I don't have an ETA for when we can deliver it to you, software due dates are notoriously unreliable. But...if it isn't done in a couple of weeks, we will fix the existing chord finder instead of waiting any longer for the new one.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
jwsadler
jwsadler
05/31/2011 6:21 pm
Thanks Jon. If you'd like some independent eyes, I'd be happy to volunteer to test the next version out.
- John
# 3
HarvieKrumpet
HarvieKrumpet
11/15/2012 10:53 pm
Just want to second the call for a lefty switch for the scale and chord finders. It's a great tool but a bit confusing for us southpaws. Thanks and keep up the good work!
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.