View post (How to Pick a Teacher)

View thread

fdh1965
fdh1965
05/21/2011 2:35 pm
I am at the same spot as you. I have been on here for a couple of months and ready i think for that same next step. But i also want to learn to read music better and to be able to learn the neck of the guitar better. I want to be able to learn to play in different keys. I found an instructor that is very comfortable in the similar music style but also is good with working with me on those things also. I talked with a lot of instructors to find one i was comforatable with and had the personality I liked and could work with me on what i want to do. Many had thier own thoughts of what i needed to do but didnt meet mine. Also many were just into showing off what they could do and not really interested in finding out what i wanted. The person i ended up choosing, sat down with me, we talked about what i knew or didnt know, we played some scales, assessed my basic playing and then we started from where i was at. I only go twice a month. That is all i really have time for. It has added alot.

This site provides me tons of things to learn and do, And has things i dont think i would have thought of or even thought to ask. I have come across as part of a lesson or reading through the stuff. The forum has lots of information. So i think both one on one and this site are going to be great and compliment each other.