How to Pick a Teacher

Bonafan1
Bonafan1
05/15/2011 4:47 pm
I've seen similar threads but never planned on getting a teacher so didn't pay much attention to them. Sorry upfront if this a a previously posted question but I couldn't find any as I looked and now that I am hungry for the knowledge from those of you in the know I am going to ask it again - How Do I Pick a Teacher?

Been here for about 6-7 months and was going to rely exclusively on this site. It's been great, learned alot and plan on staying here but I am starting to really get into this and could see where live instruction/direct Q & A with a teacher would really help.

While I probably need to tighten up my goals as a first step, what recommendations do people have? My specific interest is blues/rock type of music but that seems pretty vague and my guess is most teachers would "yes" me to death if I asked if they can teach that style. Maybe that's good enough but I want to make a good decision and not waste time/money with a teacher that won't be a good fit. Thanks in advance.
# 1
fdh1965
fdh1965
05/21/2011 2:35 pm
I am at the same spot as you. I have been on here for a couple of months and ready i think for that same next step. But i also want to learn to read music better and to be able to learn the neck of the guitar better. I want to be able to learn to play in different keys. I found an instructor that is very comfortable in the similar music style but also is good with working with me on those things also. I talked with a lot of instructors to find one i was comforatable with and had the personality I liked and could work with me on what i want to do. Many had thier own thoughts of what i needed to do but didnt meet mine. Also many were just into showing off what they could do and not really interested in finding out what i wanted. The person i ended up choosing, sat down with me, we talked about what i knew or didnt know, we played some scales, assessed my basic playing and then we started from where i was at. I only go twice a month. That is all i really have time for. It has added alot.

This site provides me tons of things to learn and do, And has things i dont think i would have thought of or even thought to ask. I have come across as part of a lesson or reading through the stuff. The forum has lots of information. So i think both one on one and this site are going to be great and compliment each other.
# 2
Bonafan1
Bonafan1
05/22/2011 10:43 pm
Thanks FDH. I found a guy that I think will be good for me; we are starting up Tuesday night - anxious to get started. Good luck to you.
# 3
ndrewoods
ndrewoods
10/28/2011 9:34 am
Originally Posted by: Bonafan1[U]I've seen similar threads but never planned on getting a teacher so didn't pay much attention to them. Sorry upfront if this a a previously posted question but I couldn't find any as I looked and now that I am hungry for the knowledge from those of you in the know I am going to ask it again - How Do I Pick a Guitar Teacher?

Been here for about 6-7 months and was going to rely exclusively on this site. It's been great, learned alot and plan on staying here but I am starting to really get into this and could see where live instruction/direct Q & A with a teacher would really help.

While I probably need to tighten up my goals as a first step, what recommendations do people have? My specific interest is blues/rock type of music but that seems pretty vague and my guess is most teachers would "yes" me to death if I asked if they can teach that style. Maybe that's good enough but I want to make a good decision and not waste time/money with a teacher that won't be a good fit. Thanks in advance.
[/U]

Well, you can learn various stuff here but I also suggest you to get a guitar teacher so that you can learn many things about playing that style that you want. You could ask him to play any song within the interest of music you like and from there you could judge if he is the teacher for you or not.
I wish they'd had electric guitars in cotton fields back in the good old days. A whole lot of things would've been straightened out. - Jimi Hendrix
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.