View post (Loads of questions: Mode visualisation/switching)

View thread

Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
05/13/2011 7:05 pm
Originally Posted by: MarcusWiesnerYou will learn everything.

That's a huge statement, and the book seems a bit pricey at $48. Personally, I'm not much of a fan of the "all in one" solutions... remember the "Heavy Guitar Bible" that was supposed to be the holy grail of instruction manuals?

I really like MI's stuff, they have a book on modes that is great, really simple, straight-forward explanations, and the author starts the explanation of each mode by describing the sound & mood each scale might evoke.

Learning things like scale patterns and modes is more than just seeing a diagram in a book with a whole bunch of numbers. Breaking down that information into technical fretboard diagrams is the easy part. The hard part is finding a way to get the information into the mind of the student so that it becomes so instinctual that they can actually utilize it when they play. That's what I like about the Fretboard Workbook. Barrett gets you memorizing patterns and scales by speaking them out loud, writing them out on blank fretboard sheets, and only when you've got the scale committed to memory do you attempt to play it on the guitar. It really works well.

Then there's all the video lessons here which are really great because you get to see and hear the instructor play, and you can keep reviewing parts as much as you need to. Really, I don't think there is one source of information that will teach you everything about guitar. Books, video lessons, instructors, jamming with other musicians and just listening to music all combine to create the entire learning experience.