Floyd Rose Tunning

icy_wind500
icy_wind500
02/21/2011 8:34 am
hi guys,

I've just bought a second hand lesPaul which have a floyd rose on it. And this is my first guitar with a floyd rose so I have no clue whats going on.

I tried to follow the instructions on utube on tunning it
1) loose the bolts on top
2) tune on the headstock
3) tight the screws
4) fine tune with the nobs on the bridge

for some reason it keep loosing tension after like 10 minutes of playing, all the strings are flat by a little. Is that normal? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks guys !
Kobe
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
02/21/2011 2:45 pm
Originally Posted by: icy_wind500hi guys,

I've just bought a second hand lesPaul which have a floyd rose on it. And this is my first guitar with a floyd rose so I have no clue whats going on.

I tried to follow the instructions on utube on tunning it
1) loose the bolts on top
2) tune on the headstock
3) tight the screws
4) fine tune with the nobs on the bridge

for some reason it keep loosing tension after like 10 minutes of playing, all the strings are flat by a little. Is that normal? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks guys !
Kobe

If you put on new strings they are probably still stretching. When I put new stings on with a Floyd, I'll spend some time playing before locking the nut. I will center the fine tuners, then give the strings stretching and a good workout until the tuning gets stable. During this process, I re-tune using only the machine heads and lock the nut only after it is apparent things aren't moving any more.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
JonChorba
JonChorba
02/21/2011 6:44 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboIf you put on new strings they are probably still stretching. When I put new stings on with a Floyd, I'll spend some time playing before locking the nut. I will center the fine tuners, then give the strings stretching and a good workout until the tuning gets stable. During this process, I re-tune using only the machine heads and lock the nut only after it is apparent things aren't moving any more.

+1 to that

I'm not a big Floyd Rose guy, but I admit they do look awesome on Les Pauls.
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 3
Dan Acheron
Dan Acheron
02/22/2011 1:57 am
Floyd roses can be a pain at times. Once you get use to them they are pretty legit!
# 4
icy_wind500
icy_wind500
02/22/2011 1:05 pm
thanks guys, I'll wait for another few weeks to see what happens
# 5
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
02/22/2011 1:34 pm
Originally Posted by: icy_wind500thanks guys, I'll wait for another few weeks to see what happens

A few weeks? :eek:

This should not take very long. After you are strung up, stretch the strings manually. Some people pull on them like a suitcase handle, but I have broken strings that way. I prefer to do some heavy bending around the 12th fret on all strings. Just drive each string up a couple of steps, retune, repeat. Should get pretty stable right away (aside from the joy of tuning the Floyd each time).
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/23/2011 9:46 am
When I had guitars with a Floyd, I did the 'suitcase handle'. Just gotta remember that the lighter the string, the less tension you have before breakage. I was told by a guitar tech that on the road, you have to the 'suitcase' pull because you don't have time not to.

However, to the initial problem: Remember that a Floyd Rose is a floating tremolo. That means the the tension from the strings must equal the tension of the springs.

If you stretch the strings enough and it still flats out, you may want to bring it in for a set up. Not cheap but worth it if your springs need an adjustment or replacement.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.