A psycho in the house!

sherif_shaaban
sherif_shaaban
02/24/2002 11:41 pm
Hi guys...this is a problem that has been bugging me for weeks. Ever since I started learning the guitar and knowing about scales, chords and other aspects of musical theory, I started to get easily bored from music! I listen to the song and say: "what's new about this one? it's a vi - V, IV, III progression!", and so you can easily imagine the hell my friends are living in because of my 'analytical' look to whatever I hear. When I know the chords of the songs I really love, suddenly they turn to be boring. I read once that knowing more about what lies behind the music you hear helps you to even enjoy it more, but this doesn't seem to be the case here :-) Am I making sense here? Has anyone experienced this 'syndrome' before? Is there a 'cure'?
Thanks...

Sherif Shaaban (Dr_Frankenstein™)
# 1
stglas1
stglas1
02/25/2002 2:39 am
My experience was very similar to yours, although my total grasp of theory was never that impressive. My ear was always very good, and once I knew enough theory and had enough time playing, the stuff I was listening to became "too easy"... i.e. all I had to do to play most of it was listen to it a couple of times (if even more than once) and I could play it (soloing was a different matter!)

I think this was primarily because almost all the stuff I was listening to was rock (at that time a lot of it metal).. which is by nature a pretty simple form of music. that may be why the emphasis got so heavy for a while on the soloing aspect of playing... it allowed a talented guitar player to showcase his ability within a framework that, by nature was somewhat limited.

Also, I have spoken with many musicians that eventually "graduated" to other styles of music/play (such as jazz) that allowed them to try different progressions, textures etc... that opened up new avenues of expression.

Try some jazz or country music, or if this is already your venue, try a little rock or even some "shredding"... sometimes it will inspire you to try something different.
# 2
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
02/25/2002 6:00 am
time to listen to jazz, and understand why jazz players hate rockers :D
# 3
sherif_shaaban
sherif_shaaban
02/25/2002 3:47 pm
Thanks guys :) I don't listen much to jazz or classical music, so I'll follow your advice and tell you the results. Thanks again :)
# 4
sherif_shaaban
sherif_shaaban
02/25/2002 4:22 pm
oh..another question: do you have any recommendations for a jazz newbie to listen to? I searched Audiogalaxy and got lost between the different jazz styles...Thanks
# 5
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
02/25/2002 4:34 pm
try some "standards" you might have already heard them, and they are a nice way to get into jazz.

I also think that Mike STERN is some good entry point, just like Robben FORD, because they both come from blues or rock and they add some jazzy flavor to their style. (they have both played with miles davis)
# 6
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
02/28/2002 5:06 pm
Check out Steely Dan..the perfect marraige of jazz and rock, cool harmonic progressions and great guitar solos.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.