Creating industrial tones?

RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
01/18/2011 5:59 pm
Hey all...

I'm really an 80's tone kind of guy, but I like to create various tones as well using my Boss GT10. Having said that I'd like to create an industrial type tone with my GT10. Does anyone have a clue where to start? What type of amp? what type of cab? What FX?

I've gone over to the Boss GT forum, posted, but nobody has replied. Maybe I've stumped them??? :o
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
01/18/2011 8:25 pm
Lack of response might just be because you're casting a pretty wide net with "industrial tone" as your description. The guitarist from Nine Inch Nails seemed to have a pretty good industrial tone... I never liked it but it was definitely distinctive.

At a wild guess, I'd say you're looking for the least "authentic" amp tone out there.. you want something really brittle and harsh, very "digital distortion" sounding. Effects are probably going to be in the realm of distortion, compressors, noise gates, and EQ (another guess, but I'd say get any sort of bottom end out of there). Keep away from chorus, flangers, reverbs, delays, etc... keep it dry and in your face. Also try to turn off or avoid things like speaker simulation. Again, that's just my guess, someone else may have a completely different idea of what "industrial" means...

Hey, looking at your tag line, have you seen this guitar? Its totally you!

http://www.bcrich.com/shape/gunslinger/guitars/7
# 2
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
01/18/2011 10:23 pm
Hey, thanks for the feedback Lizard. I was thinking NIN for a tone to strive for. Not trying to duplicate it. Hell, I may never even use it. I think John5 played with Marlyn Mason on that song he had that was in The Matrix movies. Not sure off the top of my head which of the three it was.

I assure you, this is not my typical tone. Just wanted to play with the idea though.

Oh and yes... That is the perfect style of guitar! :p
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.