Hovering fingers in position

singeri
Full Access
singeri
Full Access
01/13/2011 1:35 pm
Hi all -

I'm just getting started in playing. Been practicing about 45min/day since Thanksgiving.

I'm having trouble getting my pinky to hover above a string when my ring finger is fretting a note. I know I should learn to have the pinky hover so it's in position to fret the next note, but every time I press down with my ring finger, my pinky pulls back far away from the fret board.

Any suggestions are appreciated,
Irv
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
01/13/2011 1:39 pm
Let me know if you get that resolved. My pinky tends to get where I need it ok, but it hangs out wherever it wants between usage. Sometimes I see it actually come out from behind the neck (no kidding) and I'm sure I could be more efficient if I could control that.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
singeri
Full Access
singeri
Full Access
01/13/2011 4:01 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboLet me know if you get that resolved.

Np, but if you subscribe to the thread, you can keep track of any responses...that's how I knew you posted here.
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
01/13/2011 5:48 pm
I was being facaetious. ;) I love it when I get to use that word! :D
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
hunter1801
hunter1801
01/13/2011 11:49 pm
The pinky is one of those fingers that you just want to snap off after you realize how annoying it can be. It's like it has a mind of its own when it's not in use. The way your hand is "set up" is the reason you can't control your pinky the way you want it to. Your tendons pull on some of your other fingers when you are setting one specific finger in motion. Watch guitarists on YouTube and you'll notice their pinkies all act differently. Some have their pinky straight out all the time, others have it curled in, or some other way.

The point is, you can't really control your pinky all the time the way you want to, so don't worry about always trying to keep it hovering over your strings. It just isn't practical to do. It's ok if it moves around a bit while your other fingers are active, but just try to focus on making the movements not as drastic. That just takes practice. Practice actually playing a lot with your pinky. That will strengthen its individual muscle and allow you to control it a little better when you need to.
# 5
singeri
Full Access
singeri
Full Access
01/14/2011 1:24 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter1801The pinky is one of those fingers that you just want to snap off after you realize how annoying it can be. It's like it has a mind of its own when it's not in use.

Practice actually playing a lot with your pinky. That will strengthen its individual muscle and allow you to control it a little better when you need to.

Hello Hunter -

Thank you for the info. Last night I did notice that if I make less drastic movement, my pinky did not wonder off as far. I'm guessing that the secret here is keep you hand light on the fretboard, and don't try to 'crush' each string as you fret them.

I have been making sure I practice with all four fingers. I don't want to develop early on the habit of not using my pinky.

All the best,
Irv
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.