Can Wail On Guitar... But Can't Sing A Lick

goldy54
goldy54
01/12/2011 1:37 am
Hey guys,
Been playing lead guitar quite awhile. Been fortunate enough to have played in some killer bands. My problem to this day is I totally suck when it comes to singing. I've tried and everyone tells me to just give up, I was not meant to sing. Anyone else experiencing this same dilemma? Some people tell me that anyone can be taught to sing. Could use some valuable input if anyone has anything to share with me. It would be much appreciated!
# 1
JonChorba
JonChorba
01/12/2011 6:59 pm
I'm by no means affiliated with these guys, but I highly recommend the Singing Success program. I started it 2 years ago and considered myself tone-deaf. While I'm no master yet, I am good enough to play solo acoustic shows with extreme confidence and to some praise.

www.singingsuccess.com
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 2
goldy54
goldy54
01/12/2011 7:26 pm
Hi John,
Thanks for the input. I have been a free member on Bretts site for awhile now. I have not purchased his course because I find the exercise techniques rather strange.... They have not helped much. I see a lot of hype (increase your range 4 octives etc.) and too many affiliates on the site to be convinced it's the best out there. Anything else out there that you can recommend?
# 3
JonChorba
JonChorba
01/13/2011 8:42 pm
Originally Posted by: goldy54Hi John,
Thanks for the input. I have been a free member on Bretts site for awhile now. I have not purchased his course because I find the exercise techniques rather strange.... They have not helped much. I see a lot of hype (increase your range 4 octives etc.) and too many affiliates on the site to be convinced it's the best out there. Anything else out there that you can recommend?

Ya know, the techniques are strange, but TRUST ME, they work. It's very much like The Karate kid, where Myagi has Daniel San waxing on and waxing off but then all that movement relates to actually blocking a punch. I think Singing Success works the same way. I've tried one other program before SS and that was called Vocal Release and I didn't think it was put together all that well.

What exercises were/are you doing and how long have you been doing them? Like anything else, you're not going to see results immediately, especially if you are complete beginner. It took me at least a good year of consistent practice before I felt like I was good enough to sing in front of somebody.

Also, if you are having big pitch issues like I was, start training your ear.
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 4
goldy54
goldy54
01/14/2011 12:17 am
Hi John ,
The exercises I was refering to were the weird noises like...... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh going up the scale or any of the other animal noises that Jesse Nemitz would work you thru. I guess it's really the input some vocal coaches I interviewed gave me that makes me think maybe I should just pony up the $ and work w/ a great coach. I found one that is quite famous and has a client list that can't be denied. $220/hr. I'm suppose to start next week. I'll keep you posted!
# 5
JonChorba
JonChorba
01/15/2011 7:46 pm
Keep in mind some those Jesse Nemitz videos are for singers further along in their development. That being said, a great teacher will definitely get you faster results. Keep me posted indeed.
# 6
Grandslam15
Grandslam15
01/16/2011 3:35 am
ya man I cant sing either...guess thats why they always put me in the bass section back in my choir days lol.
# 7
JonChorba
JonChorba
01/17/2011 6:01 pm
Originally Posted by: Grandslam15ya man I cant sing either...guess thats why they always put me in the bass section back in my choir days lol.

As the old saying goes, "If you could walk you could dance, if you could talk you could sing."
# 8
goldy54
goldy54
01/30/2011 12:52 am
Dude.... At least they let you in the choir!! Taking lessons w/ one of the top vocal coaches on the planet. Let you know how it turns out.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.