View post (Share Your Stage Embarassment!)

View thread

William Wolfe
William Wolfe
12/10/2010 4:37 pm
Used to sing and play bass in a band called Blue Unicorn. We were the bad boys around town that liked Motorhead and partied hard. We got a gig in a Red Food (grocery store) parking lot, playing on a flatbed truck. The opening band, Chaos, truly were, and a lot of people left while they were playing a set of Metallica-only covers.

Then Blue Unicorn did our set. In a truly Spinal Tap moment, the guitarist's amp was picking up a radio signal, so everytime he stopped playing you could hear people talking through his amp. During our signature song, Free's "All Right Now," I decided to do a David Lee Roth-type split-jump off the stage. I jumped way up and came down hard, spraining my ankle. This is on video too, me touching down and hopping around in pain like a wounded rabbit. I returned to the stage and sat on the side while the band finished an extended jam. After that I was a bit less lively in my stage movements.

We finished the show and as we were packing up the equipment a man walking along the road in front of the supermarket got hit by a car and killed, so band and audience quickly scattered. I've got a nonfunctional foot and am in pain, and the friend I'm riding home with is way too drunk. He turned a curve and said "I'm AJ Foyt", then drove straight through someone's front yard at around 70mph. We nearly drove right through the front door of that house! His hubcaps came off as the car fishtailed through the yard, but not to worry because the police delivered them to him the next morning. And I, with my injured foot, missed the piano recital I had that day, disappointing my teacher. Blue Unicorn, when we were bad we were very bad and when we were very,very bad...well, that's another story!