Share Your Stage Embarassment!

JonChorba
JonChorba
12/02/2010 2:42 am
Share some stories about some embarrassing things that have happened to you on stage! This should be fun!

For me:

I was 16, playing my first gig ever and my band was playing a birthday party. We were in the middle of playing "Shimmer" and for reasons unknown to me, my guitar goes completely out of tune halfway through the intro, where it's just guitar and vocals. I vividly remember people in the crowd looking around like, "what in the name of god are they playing?"

I was playing at Seacrets in Ocean City, MD. Very nice and big venue, great crowd. If you've ever been there, you know they have a big jumboscreen behind the stage and the staff film the band and the crowd during performances. Well, big spotlight on me for my solo...camera's on me...and the screw that holds my strap lock system in, apparently came undone and my guitar comes crashing to the ground! What a phenomenal sound that made!

My brother has to win the gold medal though. Running off the stage in the middle of the song because he got the runs!
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 1
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
12/02/2010 3:13 am
Originally Posted by: JonChorbaMy brother has to win the gold medal though. Running off the stage in the middle of the song because he got the runs!

Not to take anything away from your embarrassment, but your brothers is priceless.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 2
William Wolfe
William Wolfe
12/04/2010 3:42 pm
One Halloween I and some friends got drunk as s**t before a gig. On the way to the gig the driver wrecked his car, giving me a hellion gash above the eye. We ran in an alcohol-fueled panic all the way from the accident site to the party place. I walked into the party wearing a real pumpkin on my head, then took it off and shocked everybody with all the real blood. Then in a drunken stupor I began trying to set up my keyboard rig. I looked so retarded that the drummer began laughing and making fun of me. The band played three songs very badly before the police arrived. So the music stopped and I went outside and threw up in the street. Happy Halloween!

I'm so glad that I don't do stupid s**t like I used to do when I was young, or at least I try not to.
# 3
JonChorba
JonChorba
12/07/2010 7:04 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerNot to take anything away from your embarrassment, but your brothers is priceless.

I agree! Hilarious!
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 4
PlasticSoul
PlasticSoul
12/10/2010 12:46 am
Most embarrassing for me was during my second gig, I was playing and all of a sudden one by one, 3 of my strings break. It sucked. Hard. Had to stop the entire gig and restring which took at least 15 minutes. lol
# 5
William Wolfe
William Wolfe
12/10/2010 4:37 pm
Used to sing and play bass in a band called Blue Unicorn. We were the bad boys around town that liked Motorhead and partied hard. We got a gig in a Red Food (grocery store) parking lot, playing on a flatbed truck. The opening band, Chaos, truly were, and a lot of people left while they were playing a set of Metallica-only covers.

Then Blue Unicorn did our set. In a truly Spinal Tap moment, the guitarist's amp was picking up a radio signal, so everytime he stopped playing you could hear people talking through his amp. During our signature song, Free's "All Right Now," I decided to do a David Lee Roth-type split-jump off the stage. I jumped way up and came down hard, spraining my ankle. This is on video too, me touching down and hopping around in pain like a wounded rabbit. I returned to the stage and sat on the side while the band finished an extended jam. After that I was a bit less lively in my stage movements.

We finished the show and as we were packing up the equipment a man walking along the road in front of the supermarket got hit by a car and killed, so band and audience quickly scattered. I've got a nonfunctional foot and am in pain, and the friend I'm riding home with is way too drunk. He turned a curve and said "I'm AJ Foyt", then drove straight through someone's front yard at around 70mph. We nearly drove right through the front door of that house! His hubcaps came off as the car fishtailed through the yard, but not to worry because the police delivered them to him the next morning. And I, with my injured foot, missed the piano recital I had that day, disappointing my teacher. Blue Unicorn, when we were bad we were very bad and when we were very,very bad...well, that's another story!
# 6
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
12/10/2010 4:53 pm
William... Sounds like you guys are lucky to not be sitting in jail somewhere. :o
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 7
stymye
stymye
12/18/2010 3:13 am
I could write a book , I was in(somewhat serious to very serious) bands from around 78 - 2003. Now I just tool around in local blues jams here and there.
and surf guitar forums..and still learning
the road tales are endless
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.