Can Wail On Guitar... But Can't Sing A Lick

goldy54
goldy54
11/07/2010 10:04 pm
Hey guys,
Been playing lead guitar quite awhile. Been fortunate enough to have played in some killer bands. My problem to this day is I totally suck when it comes to singing. I've tried and everyone tells me to just give up, I was not meant to sing. Anyone else experiencing this same dilemma? Some people tell me that anyone can be taught to sing. Could use some valuable input if anyone has anything to share with me. It would be much appreciated!
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
11/07/2010 11:06 pm
Some people just suck when it comes to singing. I guess anyone could be taught, but that means actually taking lessons/classes pretty seriously. All depends on the voice you were born with. Some are made to sing, others are not. I think everyone has their own range. Some are larger and some are extremely small and almost limiting to what you can sing.
# 2
samata
samata
11/07/2010 11:06 pm
Well, I am primarily a vocalist. Guitar is new to me, I've played sax for a while, but I consider voice as my primary instrument. And, I don't know that I'd agree with "Anyone can be taught to sing". One thing that I've really realized over the last few years of training is that singing is playing an instrument just as surely as guitar. It's not JUST your vocal cords. It's also resonance in your chest, your face, your head, your throat.....

And, it might be that your body is just not shaped or designed to sing?

I'm curious, have you ever taken any vocal lessons? They can be very helpful in teaching you to use the "instrument".
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept
# 3
goldy54
goldy54
11/07/2010 11:58 pm
Hey Hunter,
Thanks for the input. I'm in the process of looking for the right vocal coach for me. Let you know how that turns out.
# 4
goldy54
goldy54
11/08/2010 12:00 am
Yo Samata,
Thanks for your input as well. As I mentioned to Hunter, I'm now in persuit of the right vocal coach. I'll get back to you guys soon. Thanks
# 5
JeffS65
JeffS65
11/09/2010 8:43 am
While I don't know that I would consider myself a vocalist of any sort (and many around me would agree) but I found for me that there are kinds of vocals I can do in some adequate way. You may not be a good vocalist in the style or with the type of voice you desire but you may be good in another type/style.

Along with a vocal coach, when you're doing the 'car sing-a-long' try different style if you can. Most important, as you sing along with things, stick your finger in your ear. It's like having a little vocal monitor but will give you a clear indication of your voice. This also helps you hone in on vocal issues too.

Anyway, don't give and find where your voice is actually at.
# 6
bobby_t
Full Access
bobby_t
Full Access
11/09/2010 10:00 pm
I'm glad they didn't convince Bob Dylan to give up singing. He may have not been able to sing technically well, but the depth of his lyrics made his poor singing skills all the better. Like the regular guy on the street who has something more going on inside of him than his slavery to the world. Sing songs that mean something to you deep inside that you can let go and sing with your soul. That's what really moves people.

I was sitting in a church classroom many years ago with a trim of apples going around the top. Every so often there was an apple on it's side. It struck me that that's what made the painting interesting.
Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.
# 7
MikeFaulkner
MikeFaulkner
11/10/2010 8:24 am
Oh i just accept that my voice is awful, i really have tried but i leave the singing to my friends who can sing. Anything other key than H# is no go for me!
# 8
TiminOhio
TiminOhio
11/13/2010 4:58 pm
Even play a harmonica while you play guitar instead of singing.

But what you really need is to find someone special to sing while you play!

Problem solved.....or you can always hum, kazoo, or harmonicazize!

TiminOhio
# 9
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
11/15/2010 12:16 am
heh, I got the same problem.. if I could sing I would've been a singer, I love to sing, my friends don't appreciate it though but most of the time I don't care :D unfortunately no mic for me.. good luck on your journey!
= good music is good drinking =
# 10
Ty Morgan
Ty Morgan
11/27/2010 1:41 am
There's definitly hope.

As an allergie sufferer and someone who spent 20 years speaking inefficiently, I had given up hope of ever singing anywhere except the shower! I tried some vocal instructors who loved taking my money, but never really mentioned my "suck" factor!

Then 4 or 5 years ago I began educating myself about the voice and ran across the Singing Success program. By performing the exercises on the CDs diligently and watching the online videos for roughly a year and a half I developed the proper muscles and removed all the bad habits I have ruined my voice with for two decades. I now sing lead and background vocals quite often on stage and continue to get stronger every day.

Follow your heart, educate yourself, be determined in your pursuit and anything is possible.

Keep us posted on your progress.
# 11
Dan Acheron
Dan Acheron
11/29/2010 3:41 pm
Ty thanks for sharing about the singing success program, I will definitely look into that! For anyone who thinks they don't have a good voice this is not true. Your voice is an instrument and you need to take the time to develop your vocal skills. Anyone can become a good singer it all depends on the effort you put into improving!
# 12
William Wolfe
William Wolfe
11/29/2010 4:04 pm
The best thing that I ever did to improve my vocals was to listen to and try to imitate Rob Halford of Judas Priest. A lot has been made of Halford's high screech but if you go back and listen to the first three Judas Priest albums you'll hear he was doing some things that, sadly, got lost on later albums. He had a great baritone voice back then, very powerful and melodic, as on songs such as "Run of the Mill" and "Dreamer Deceiver." He's also got a terrific mid-range snarl, as heard on songs like "Raw Deal."

Another good bit of advice is, don't give up! Back when I was a teen I got into my first band as bassist/vocalist, it was because there was absolutely no one around who could sing or be a lead vocalist/frontman. I stepped up to the mic and, truthfully, I was terrible, as bad as anybody else we'd tried out. Eventually, I got fired from the band, or really I left before they could fire me. When asked if I would continue trying to sing or just play bass solely, I replied there was never any question of "giving up".

So I kept practicing and hooked up with a vocal teacher, practicing classical vocals and pop songs, and although I didn't like every song the teacher gave me, I still use his techniques to this day. Eventually I rejoined the band I'd left and we moved up a notch in overall ability. I'm still singing and, at age 38, I'm still improving and learning how to be a better singer. So invest the time to learn how to sing correctly, have the right influences (i.e. listen to cool singers like Halford, Dio, Ozzy, Morrison, etc), and believe you can do it!

And for sure follow Ty's advice. He's got some good ideas about lots of stuff.
# 13
goldy54
goldy54
12/12/2010 4:28 am
Hi William,
Thank you so much for your input. I have had a great vocal coach recommended to me and start my lessons next week. I will keep you abreast of my progress.
# 14
goldy54
goldy54
12/12/2010 4:47 am
Originally Posted by: Ty MorganThere's definitly hope.

As an allergie sufferer and someone who spent 20 years speaking inefficiently, I had given up hope of ever singing anywhere except the shower! I tried some vocal instructors who loved taking my money, but never really mentioned my "suck" factor!

Then 4 or 5 years ago I began educating myself about the voice and ran across the Singing Success program. By performing the exercises on the CDs diligently and watching the online videos for roughly a year and a half I developed the proper muscles and removed all the bad habits I have ruined my voice with for two decades. I now sing lead and background vocals quite often on stage and continue to get stronger every day.

Follow your heart, educate yourself, be determined in your pursuit and anything is possible.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks Ty,
Referred to one of the most revered vocal coaches on the planet. Start lessons next. I'll keep you posted on my progress!
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.