dumb thumb!

Beantown Boy
Beantown Boy
10/31/2010 11:32 pm
I can't seem to keep my thumb under the fretboard! It wraps around the top quite a bit. It's ok if playing basic chords but makes it much harder to play barre chords.

Any suggestions on how to keep that bad boy underneath?

Thanks
# 1
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
11/01/2010 2:20 am
how big is your hand?! I think it's only a plus if you can wrap your hand that easily around the neck

you use your thumb only to give a counterweight/counterpoint to your fingers, in order to be able to use your fingers to give enough pressure on the fretboard, meaning you put your thumb wherever feels right (ok some use their thumb for the low e-string or mute the low e-string but that's a whole other thing)

I have no idea how you use your thumb though, maybe you can upload a picture :)
= good music is good drinking =
# 2
Beantown Boy
Beantown Boy
11/01/2010 3:14 am
I have just been told that the proper way to play is to keep your thumb under the fretboard so that you can keep good pressure on the frets...and I can see the point. I think it also helps you play chords more cleanly. For me, it's most comfortable to have my thumb more around the fretboard. It's not a big deal but I have been trying to be better at barre chords - i am still terrible.

thanks for the repy
# 3
hunter1801
hunter1801
11/01/2010 6:35 am
I wish my thumb would wrap more around the neck. Everyone has their issues with their hands haha. Only advice I'd give is to keep practicing and working at it. What does the problem seem to be when you try to hold your thumb at the back of the neck when barring? Is it painful, awkward, or something else?

The more you move your thumb up and over the neck, the less mobility you get with your fingers in certain positions. There are many times where it is ok, and sometimes helpful to have your thumb wrapped over the neck, but for barre chords, I would think it only makes it more difficult. Just plant that thumb on the middle of the neck (backside) and barre with your first finger until you can get each string to sound clearly. Then add one finger at a time for whatever chord you are playing and see which ones give you the problems. If you are new at it and it's difficult, it's only because your hand needs to get used to the stretches involved and the new positions.

Oh, and there is always a "proper" or "by the book" way to do things on guitar, but in the end you'll see many people playing different. It all falls under what is most comfortable and easy for you.
# 4
dougjt
dougjt
11/02/2010 4:34 am
When I started taking "live lessons" I could play a little bit and the first thing my instructor told me was thumbs up. You'll need it later on to mute the top strings. The only time I drop my thumb on the back of the neck is when I have too. IE barre chords,power chords, and long stretches(hmm which come to think of it is most of the time) so both ways are needed. The easiest barre chord I think would be Bm I would just keep moving it up and down the fret board till I got the hang of it(obviously once u move your barre off the 2nd fret its no longer a Bm) . chris has some lessons on this which should be helpful http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=11253&c_id=2&ch_id=17&s_id=450
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.