A year to sign up

Stringless
Stringless
10/17/2010 11:09 am
Hey Folks,
Well about a year and a half ago I got myself a guitar. I know nothing about playing guitar or reading music.
So I started looking around on the Web for some good lessons, and of course found tons of sites and lessons out there, Most of which were horrid - with a few good ones in the mix.
Came across GT but thought to my self yeah just another lesson site and why pay for this when I can find it free on the web.

OK this story could get very long, so the super extra short ver of it is: I didnt sign up and a year or so later here I am. I can not play a complete song on my guitar, I dont know any chords and in the past year have learned pretty much nothing.

So this morning, I got my self the year membership to GT - This of course after makeing sure the forums were still active and after checking with the BBB ( Which btw has rated GT with an A+ ) and has had no complaints filled in the past 36 months ( I didnt check back farther than that ) ..

So here I am, still wanting to learn to play guitar and at least NOW im in the correct place to learn to do so.

Mold me well.
:)
# 1
SebastBerg
Full Access
SebastBerg
Full Access
10/18/2010 2:00 am
Awesome stuff :)
You definetly made the right decision.

I have been here for around 8 months or so and there's no regrets.
I was a 8 year, nothing serious, self thaught guitar player untill now.
I'm learning at record speed and I'm enjoying playing guitar more and more.

Good luck with everything.
# 2
dalduque
dalduque
10/18/2010 3:23 am
Amazing choice!

I have been around here for 4 months and I can play like 7 songs flawlessly. And before I came I knew nothing!
That should tell you that this site is GREAT.
# 3
Stringless
Stringless
10/18/2010 11:43 am
Thanks,
Well after my first day as a full member I learned how to make a simple C a simple G a simple E and A. ( But still working on them as the "muting" seems hard for me to get the hang of.)

I was taught more in one day as a full member then I learned in a year on my own.
I found that I did not have my guitar in tune, I learned I was holding my left hand wrong, and I was holding the pick wrong.

Correcting these little issues has made a HUGE deference already.

I still have a ways to go before I move on out of the first lessons (Fundamentals) but already the progress I have made makes me smile. that and my daughter says " Wow Dad, your sounding better "

Have a good day folks.
# 4
dalduque
dalduque
10/18/2010 3:53 pm
Originally Posted by: Stringless

Have a good day folks.

You as well, kind sir
# 5
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
10/20/2010 11:58 am
haha that's brilliant, I still use the beginner vids to see if I'm still playing right, they're very thorough :) good to hear you're finding your way around the guitar, you'd be amazed how much there still is to learn... you're never done trust me
= good music is good drinking =
# 6
Bluepick1956
Bluepick1956
10/21/2010 12:56 am
Also, keep in mind that your fingers ARE GOING TO HURT!!!! Until you get callouses, it can really hurt the tips of your fingers. Realize though, that it is the same for everybody. Once the skin tuffins up, life will be better. I have known people that quit guitar because of that, but it does go away eventually.
# 7
Otto Ray Sing
Otto Ray Sing
10/21/2010 3:11 am
I can see why Guitar Tricks would get an A+, and they deserve it. Keep practicing, and do it every day. Even if you only spend a few minutes, it's important to have that guitar in your hands.
We grow too soon old, and too late smart.
# 8
Stringless
Stringless
10/21/2010 10:45 am
Yep. I did not practice at all last night due to the soreness of my fingers. If I put my fingers on my desk I can feel ants walking in China!

But this morning they are a little better, I can type with out tears coming to my eyes... lol.

Im pretty much in the same place as I was a day or two ago.. working the fundamentals.. Muting is taking alot of practice for me and the tip of my ring finger just wont bend in. Its like that knuckle near the tip is frozen and doesnt want to work.
I dont know if more practice will help that or if Ill just have to get use to that finger not wanting to do its job.

Im remembering what to play where, but seem to be having a hard time remembering the note or simple chord names. ( Thats C, thats G... or was that G and that C? hmm.. replay vid...)

Over all tho, Im having a great time learning and loving my Guitar.

Got to go watch a lesson before I run off to work.. Yall be good! :)
# 9
Stringless
Stringless
10/22/2010 10:29 am
Seems my fingers got better over night, or maybe they lost all feeling now... as they don't hurt hardly at all this morning.
My Dex is a lot better too.

Still having a hard time remembering all the note names but I guess that will come with more practice and now I say each note as I play it, or try to.

Muting seems to be getting a bit better, but now I tend to mute when I did not mean to lol. again more practice...

The more I learn about guitar and how to play it the more I'm loving it.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.