View post (Help me learn about your country.......)

View thread

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/13/2002 1:51 pm
hmm.. THere's song really funky arab stuff, which for some reason compliments heavey metal very well... um, If you listen to Serji from, S.O.A.Dm you notice his very arabic sounding vocals at points which works very well...

listen to any one on the "Ud"( pronouced ood), which is the original giutar... it kinda got taken the by the crusaders to make a smaller version which is basically a lute, which evolved to giutar.... very intresting, very sad sounding... be warned though, arab pop is down right crap, avoid it like the plauge...

"un kalthoom" and "Fyrooz" (both are spelt phonetically here, so they may not be spelled the same else where) are examples of famous arab singers... um, I dont know as much as i should really.. there's some stuff which is very sad and biutiful, which i think SOAD may have copyied for "toxcicity" (i mean the line "eating seeds as a pass time activity", sounds very familiar, and plus it's an excellent statement which i dont think most "westerners" would get.. but i'm not sure, cos they're armenian and i think muscially they're fairly similar to the arabs), but i cant really give you examples of it...
um, some of the southern lybian stuff sounds more african than arabic, it's very very cool... that's the stuff I'm gonna work with when I become a big cheese...:D.. also "nay" is quite a funky arab instrument..

For the Uk, LIFE WITHOUT BIULDINGS, Idlewild (both very artistic and conceptaul bands), Elbow, Zero 7, Super furrie animals, angelica, ballboy, arab strap, gordon giltrap (ooooh, the giutar on this!! it's absoloutly amazing!!), symposium, the cranberies (are they irish though? sorry if they are.)

Ice landic: Cay, sigor ros (i cant recomend this band enough), belatrix...

Little known about american greats: Ten benson, Smog, Pavement, Laptop, calexico,

hope this helped

[Edited by educatedfilm on 02-13-2002 at 07:54 AM]