Help me learn about your country.......

02/11/2002 5:34 pm

I like to discover new music styles and bands.

What I like the most is listening to traditionnal music of different countries. Even if I don't understand the language, for me it's all about music and sound.

Can some of you help me learn about their country's own sound by suggesting famous traditionnal bands.

I'm french canadian. If you want to know a little of our sound, here's a few artists.

Paul piche
La bottine souriante
Felix Leclerc
Harmonium
Offenbach (not the classical compositor, they are not traditionnal but they are probably the most influencial rock band in french canadian history)

# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
02/11/2002 11:44 pm
I'm French, French, from Marseille.

Biggest artist right now over here is Jean Jacques GOLDMAN, great songwriter, awesome lyricist, check some of his songs out (I guess you've heard him, he wrote for Celine DION)

Francis CABREL comes close in second, great melodies, but influenced by canadian music, so just check him out for his lyrics, he's the closest we have to a poet.

We have some traditional bands, one from Corsica, I MUVRINI, they do some vocal harmonies, they have done a song with sting, pretty good...Another one is DAN AR BRAZ, it's celtic music...

I couldn't forget Georges BRASSENS, probably 98% of french singers owe him something. One of them is RENAUD, the singer with an attitude...

Also, we love to claim Django REINDHART was french, even though he wasn't. Stephane GRAPELLI was though, check out their music with the "quintet du hot club de France"...

# 2

02/12/2002 12:27 am

I love Cabrel. Sometime people forget just how good he plays the guitar. C'est l'hiver is wonderful, tough subject (suicide) but you can feel how much he loved his friend.

One way or another I'm affected by french culture being a distant cousin ;)

I'll check out DAN AR BRAZ and I MUVRINI. I never heard of them.

thanks Lalimace for these suggestions and thanks to your culture for such great WINES. Oh sweet nectar of the gods.
# 3
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
02/12/2002 8:03 am
Hmmm.. I´m from austria (as you already know)..

besides the Classical stuff that has been born around here and germany we do not have realy cool "typical austrian" stuff apart from austrian folk music which sucks BIG TIME!
And we have a buncha idiot-bands that do nothing but play the top 40 up and down on some fat-ladies wedding.
:S

But on the other hand, we have alot of VERY talented musicians that never got into any fame simply because the situation in austria (concerning music) is against individuality which is due to the main radio station Ö3 (we believe that it is owned by scientology).
I know a few geniusses in songwriting and on the guitar and other instruments here who REALY have their own head in music and write some stuff that is completely weird and unique... but well.. in today´s society musicality is rather an obstacle than a gift *LOL*

-=[Azrael]=-

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 4
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
02/13/2002 12:18 am
Irish

Chieftains
Davy Spillane
Dubliners
Sinead OConnor (not the pop stuff)
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 5
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/13/2002 12:33 am
Originally posted by Azrael
I know a few geniusses in songwriting and on the guitar and other instruments here who REALY have their own head in music and write some stuff that is completely weird and unique...

The first time I read that I read "Guinesses."
I wonder what Freud would have to say about that.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/13/2002 1:51 pm
hmm.. THere's song really funky arab stuff, which for some reason compliments heavey metal very well... um, If you listen to Serji from, S.O.A.Dm you notice his very arabic sounding vocals at points which works very well...

listen to any one on the "Ud"( pronouced ood), which is the original giutar... it kinda got taken the by the crusaders to make a smaller version which is basically a lute, which evolved to giutar.... very intresting, very sad sounding... be warned though, arab pop is down right crap, avoid it like the plauge...

"un kalthoom" and "Fyrooz" (both are spelt phonetically here, so they may not be spelled the same else where) are examples of famous arab singers... um, I dont know as much as i should really.. there's some stuff which is very sad and biutiful, which i think SOAD may have copyied for "toxcicity" (i mean the line "eating seeds as a pass time activity", sounds very familiar, and plus it's an excellent statement which i dont think most "westerners" would get.. but i'm not sure, cos they're armenian and i think muscially they're fairly similar to the arabs), but i cant really give you examples of it...
um, some of the southern lybian stuff sounds more african than arabic, it's very very cool... that's the stuff I'm gonna work with when I become a big cheese...:D.. also "nay" is quite a funky arab instrument..

For the Uk, LIFE WITHOUT BIULDINGS, Idlewild (both very artistic and conceptaul bands), Elbow, Zero 7, Super furrie animals, angelica, ballboy, arab strap, gordon giltrap (ooooh, the giutar on this!! it's absoloutly amazing!!), symposium, the cranberies (are they irish though? sorry if they are.)

Ice landic: Cay, sigor ros (i cant recomend this band enough), belatrix...

Little known about american greats: Ten benson, Smog, Pavement, Laptop, calexico,

hope this helped

[Edited by educatedfilm on 02-13-2002 at 07:54 AM]
# 7
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
02/16/2002 12:02 am
Elbow are cool, I hate the Super Furry Animals with a passion though.

The Cranberries are Irish, theyre alright.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 8
jack7
jack7
02/19/2002 4:34 pm
Blues started rock here
Robert Johnson among others.
Big Band swing.
Elvis P.
Rock-n-Roll 4 Ever
:cool: Jack 7
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.