Differences in guitars

Bobby_V
Bobby_V
08/01/2010 1:11 am
So I got an electric guitar from a cousin. It's like one of those starter Squiers. I had one a few years ago when I started to learn guitar. But I gave it up cause it was hard with my big fingers. Now that I got that guitar I am starting to learn again using this website.

Anyways, I was at guitar centar playing around with the guitars and holy sh|t what a difference. The necks were thicker and the strings were just a tad more seperated from eachother that I was totally hitting chords without messing up.

My theory is that the guitars in the starter packages are made a little smaller maybe for teenagers learning or something. Anyone agree with this?

I need to upgrade my guitar.

- Bobby
# 1
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
08/01/2010 6:01 am
I have a several different guitars. Not all guitars have the same width, thickness of necks. For example, Gibson necks feel like you're holding a baseball bat in my opinion, however, I have guitar with a Peavey Tracer neck that is nice a thin. Love that neck. Go and check out other Squires, they are probably the same as your neck. I'd also be interested in knowing how much different a Squire neck is from a Fender Strat.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/04/2010 1:01 pm
Squiers are modeled pretty closely after Fender Strats as far as dimensions go. Thinner body, but otherwise pretty close. I'm pretty sure nut width is exactly the same, but you might find some variations in neck shape & thickness (same as you would with different Fender Strat models/years.) The difference comes in more with quality of materials, quality of craftsmanship, and (sadly) the quality of life in the country of manufacture.

There is a 3/4 sized Squier model. Maybe that's what you had the first time?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 3
Bobby_V
Bobby_V
08/13/2010 12:10 am
I didn't have the 3/4 sized squier for sure. I know because I just got one of those for my son.

I upgraded to a PRS Tremonti and what a difference. Night and Day. The Squier was just a POS. Comparable to what Toys R Us sell.

Thanks for your replys.

Bobby
# 4
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/13/2010 1:49 pm
Originally Posted by: Bobby_VThe Squier was just a POS. Comparable to what Toys R Us sell.

Don't be a gear snob. ;) There's nothing wrong with Squiers and I personally know people that play professionally with them. Also there are different models of Squier, and they are made in 3 different plants. They are what they are, and maybe you had a bad one. The Tremonti (non-signature) costs twice as much as the Squier, so I would expect a little more from it. They also are entirely different guitars.

I know players that crap all over Fender Strats and call them (even the MIA) a "POS", but for me, it's my most played guitar. Go figure, there's actually some player preference involved! :)

And congrats on your guitar. It looks pretty sweet!
# 5
Bobby_V
Bobby_V
08/13/2010 3:11 pm
I am not trying to be a gear snob. I was saying that in the context of my experience. If I didn't have these cucumber fingers I would totally be jamming on the squier for years. It just didn't work for me.

I would recommend the squier to a beginner (with smaller hands). I think I went to extreme calling it a POS. Just want to get the record straight.

Bobby
# 6
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/13/2010 3:31 pm
Cool. I tried to use winkies & smilies in hopes you realized I wasn't trying to be over the top about it either.

The Squier I had was an Affinity model, and that model in particular is shunned by a lot of people, but I can say that it had the best action of most guitars I've owned. I had replaced the pick ups in it, but have since reused them in another project, and they sound great.
# 7
Jarsew
Jarsew
08/16/2010 7:14 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerI have a several different guitars. Not all guitars have the same width, thickness of necks. For example, Gibson necks feel like you're holding a baseball bat in my opinion, however, I have guitar with a Peavey Tracer neck that is nice a thin. Love that neck. Go and check out other Squires, they are probably the same as your neck. I'd also be interested in knowing how much different a Squire neck is from a Fender Strat.
I feel the same way about Gibson necks, cant stand them. Doesnt help I kind of have small hands too...

Ive also never played a Squire/Fender that turned me on either. Some Ibanez are alright although my frankenstein guitar has an Ibanez neck and its one of my favs. Most Jacksons I tend to like, and PRS is essentially flawless :D
# 8
caponi14
caponi14
08/19/2010 7:39 am
Gibson is the holy grail for me
# 9
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/21/2010 9:55 pm
Having played (had) a Gibson Les Paul years ago to have an Gibson ES and also a Fender Strat and also owned years ago, a Kramer Pacer from the late 80s etc....

I like all necks. I might as well be a politician with that answer!

Thing is, I find the neck drives me to a certain kind of playing. Really, the whole guitar does that too but just as far as fretting, I like most all necks because the cull out different things for me. Do I wanna rip, thinner neck. Do I want to blues it up, the bigger neck. Just a thing I noticed.

The only neck I've never liked was a Gibson Les Paul Custom. Not sure why. I can play a standard Les Paul and be happy but the bound custom neck just doesn't seem to feel right.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.