New to the site

Crossbow
Crossbow
06/24/2010 4:36 pm
Ok I bit and joined the site as a full member. I use to play a little many many years ago "30 yrs" I put it down to chase wild women and partying being a teenager but now that I gotten old and over the hill it was time to pick it up again while I sit in my rocking chair...LOL I just bought me a slightly used Fender Strat with a small 20 watt amp last week and let me tell ya my fingers are sore as all get out already. Not sure if anyone here has tried the product called Rock-Tips? I ordered me some couple days ago to check it out to see if it really helps to take the pain away while waiting for my fingers to callus. I will let you know if it works once my order gets here and I get to try it out. They state it will form a new layer of skin to your finger tips making it much easier to play with out the pain. Anyway I just wanted to say hello and hope to meet some friends on here soon. Lets Git-R-Done!!!
Crossbow
# 1
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
06/24/2010 4:47 pm
Welcome to the site! You know, you're supposed to booze and chase women WHILE you're playing guitar. You had it all mixed up. I just started playing about 1-1/2 years ago at age 41, so I'm not too far behind you.

Great site with more lessons and tutorials than you'll probably be able to finish unless you blow through them and don't practice what they try to teach.

Best of luck! :)
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 2
kjpro
kjpro
06/24/2010 5:19 pm
Hey there Crossbow,

Welcome to GT and all the best, you're definitely in the right place.
Don,t feel to old cause I'm not far from you, but it's never to late where
music is concerned in my opinion.
i tried stuff to for my fingers so let me be the first to tell you, they don't
work period. With time as you keep at it you won't even know there was ever
finger aches.

Best of luck
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
06/24/2010 6:02 pm
Originally Posted by: CrossbowI just bought me a slightly used Fender Strat

Congrats! You will love your Strat. Unlike any other guitar, I have a genuine emotional bond with my Strat. I get teary-eyed when I'm changing her strings, I think about her all day long. ...Is that bad??

Anywho, welcome to the site! I'm 46 and I look at it this way: I have an advantage over the younger folks of having no real expectations of ever "making it" in music, so I figure I can enjoy it more, skip the stuff that really sucks and just focus on the fun.

Good luck!!
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
Crossbow
Crossbow
06/24/2010 9:20 pm
Thanks guys... I'm loving my Strat as well. Only problem I have is my fat fingers keep riding on the other strings killing the sound. Wonder why they did not place the strings futher apart for us fat finger people...LMAO.
Crossbow
# 5
Carmine M
Carmine M
06/25/2010 10:50 am
Welcome Crossbow

Carmine

Regards,

cm

# 6
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/25/2010 12:35 pm
Welcome to GT Crossbow. I think you'll enjoy it here.
Doug
# 7
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
06/25/2010 5:53 pm
Originally Posted by: CrossbowThanks guys... I'm loving my Strat as well. Only problem I have is my fat fingers keep riding on the other strings killing the sound. Wonder why they did not place the strings futher apart for us fat finger people...LMAO.

I don't know much about the Fender Strat, but maybe Fender has different models with different nut widths.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 8
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
06/25/2010 9:30 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerI don't know much about the Fender Strat, but maybe Fender has different models with different nut widths.

Good point. Far as I know, Gibson has the slightly wider nut, though.

[Edit:] Of the traditional 2 that is. Not sure what other brands have, though I suspect Fender leaned toward the narrowest for today's production models.

Don't sweat it, Crossbow, you'll get used to it and adapt. Hendrix had giant fingers (well could span an octave or something like that from index to pinky), yet he managed ok :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 9
compart1
compart1
06/26/2010 10:30 am
Hi Crossbow,
welcome to GT..
While your waiting, try liquid bandaid..
Gordon..
# 10
Crossbow
Crossbow
06/26/2010 5:56 pm
Originally Posted by: compart1Hi Crossbow,
welcome to GT..
While your waiting, try liquid bandaid..
Gordon..

Now you tell me. I been suffering through ok so far. I read on wiki site that soaking your fingers for a min in rubbing alcohol before and after you play would help. Tried it and it does help some what. If nothing else it cleans up the blood real nice thats pouring out your finger tips. Plus it kills the germs from getting infected. I will have my wife pick up a bottle of liquid bandaid today. My rock-tips order will be here Monday. Should have an option early next week.

Thanks for the tip!
Crossbow
# 11
Crossbow
Crossbow
06/26/2010 9:48 pm
Got some liquid bandage and noticed it said for musicians but also noticed it said "To help in preventing the formation of calluses." Not sure if this will be good as we need to build calluses.
Crossbow
# 12
compart1
compart1
06/28/2010 4:23 pm
Hi Crossbow..
I had used New Skin, a cheaper brand of Liquid bandaid for a metal cut on one fretting finger as my calluses were already established.. it woked great for keeping the strings from catching in the cut..
On the New Skin bottle is says you can remove an old layer by applying a new layer and wiping off immediately..
What part of NC..?
Have a great day and keep on pickin..
Gordon
# 13
Crossbow
Crossbow
06/28/2010 6:04 pm
Hey Gordon,

I am almost sure my wife got the same brand called new skin. It worked good but when I seen it said "To help in preventing the formation of calluses." I did not use anymore of it as my calluses are not fully done yet. Most of my problem is over working them. I know most only play 30 to 60 Min's each day until they get their calluses but I am a sucker and play 3 or more hours each day since I started a couple weeks ago. Its a slow learner for me so I need all the time in I can get. Got my Rock-Tips in today and will try it out this evening when I get home from work. It states on the bottle that it is a liquid callus building formula. Little pricey but maybe it will do the trick until I get mine built up. I live in the sand-hills of NC. Just outside of Sanford. What part are you located in?
Crossbow
# 14
Crossbow
Crossbow
06/29/2010 8:21 pm
Low down on the Rock-Tips. It seems to be nothing more then a heavier based super glue. Not knocking the product but I think you would be better off using super glue price wise. The liquid new skin works as well but its not near as thick as the other two. One thing for sure on the Rock-Tips is they say if you need a second coat to add it. Well let me say this if you do then it will be so cushy that you will not play as good. Just my two cents here is all.
Crossbow
# 15
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
06/30/2010 9:03 am
first of all, welcome to GT!

I don't think there's any way to cheat your way out of having to go through the whole build-up-callus-process

I never really had such a problem with it cause I wasn't playing that much in the beginning, so my fingers got time to adapts sort to speak, but now I feel them burn like hell after playing! whenever I put them on something hot it feels as if I got 3rd degree burns on them, guess I still need to build up some callus :rolleyes:

about the Rock Tips, it said it would help you with callus, not that it would make you play just as good :p nah, I think you'll be fine in a couple of weeks
= good music is good drinking =
# 16
Crossbow
Crossbow
06/30/2010 1:09 pm
Thanks for the welcome. I am having a blast learning this all over again. Last night I applied a light coat on Rock-Tips and it worked good. My beef is the price. Like you said the old fingers will get it on their own in time. Mine are coming along very well. Soaking them in rubbing alcohol before & after playing has helped a lot. Couple more weeks and they should be good to go.
Crossbow
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.