Different scales in one song?!

sherif_shaaban
sherif_shaaban
02/06/2002 1:07 am
Hi...it's me again. I sent a thread a couple of days ago about the theoretical basis of 'Private Investigation' by Dire Straits - are you there, chris mood? - , and things became more clear to me, just to get more dim. I am wondering: are there any rules to change between scales? and how can I use different forms of the same chord (e.g., D major and D minor) without sounding dissonant? To be more practical, this is 'Your latest trick' by Dire Straits....how could Mark Knopfler use the C# along with C#m (which is a part of the G# phygian scale)? Forgive me for my ignorant-looking questions, but I would really appreciate your help. Thanks everybody....

E
All the late night bargains have been struck
F#m B A/C# B C#
Between the satin beaus and their belles
F#m
And prehistoric garbage trucks
D13(#11)
Have the city to themselves
E
Echoes roars dinosaurs
F#m B A/C# B/D#
They're all doing the monster mash
C#/E# F#m
And most of the taxis and the whores
D13(#11)
Are only taking calls for cash

A B
I don't know how it happened
F/G# Aaug
It all took place so quick
A E/B E/G#
But all I can do
F#m/A B A/C#
is hand it to you
B G#7
And your latest trick

Sherif Shaaban (Dr_Frankensteinā„¢)
# 1
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
02/06/2002 6:21 pm
O.K. I took a quick look at the chord progression and here's what's going on. Your in the key of E major, which would account for the E, A, B, F#- chords.
The C# major chord is the five chord of F# minor, so technically you have a quick modulation into the key of F# Harmonic minor.
The D13#11 chord is not that dissonant (thanx to the #11) and resolves nicely to the Emaj.
The G#7 chord at the end would be the five chord of C#minor, which is the relative minor to Emajor.

There are no rules to theory and song composition, only guidelines to help us create, understand, and converse among each other.
Good Luck!
# 2
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
02/07/2002 11:35 am
The rule is: There is no Rule! Trust your hearing!

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.