sweep picking

freak metal
freak metal
05/19/2010 3:26 am
hey ive been playing for about a year and a half and i need some tips on sweep picking
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/19/2010 1:45 pm
Originally Posted by: freak metalhey ive been playing for about a year and a half and i need some tips on sweep picking

The idea behind sweep picking is to get the most harmonic or melodic information (notes) into the smallest amount of time. In most cases, the notes in a sweeping picking passage outline chord tones, going quickly through all the notes of a chord. That's is why they are frequently called arpeggios, a chord in which the notes are not played together but instead one after another. Arpeggio is Italian for "broken chord".

This technique is called "sweeping", because you pick ("sweep") across the strings in one continuous motion in one direction. By slightly muting the strings with your right hand behind the note you just picked you can get a clean articulation. The left hand must also follow the picking motion closely. You can also reverse direction and start sweeping the other direction.

You can also use sweeping to play scalar passages. And sweeping is also part of the technique known as economy picking. Economy picking is combining alternate picking with sweep picking in order to get the most efficient possible motion happening as you cross from a series of note on one string to the next string.

I have two tutorials on sweep picking technique, an intermediate one & an advanced one. I have filmed High-Definition updates to these & hope to have them up and running before long!

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=408
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=211
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/19/2010 1:46 pm
Originally Posted by: freak metalhey ive been playing for about a year and a half and i need some tips on sweep picking

The idea behind sweep picking is to get the most harmonic or melodic information (notes) into the smallest amount of time. In most cases, the notes in a sweeping picking passage outline chord tones, going quickly through all the notes of a chord. That's is why they are frequently called arpeggios, a chord in which the notes are not played together but instead one after another. Arpeggio is Italian for "broken chord".

This technique is called "sweeping", because you pick ("sweep") across the strings in one continuous motion in one direction. By slightly muting the strings with your right hand behind the note you just picked you can get a clean articulation. The left hand must also follow the picking motion closely. You can also reverse direction and start sweeping the other direction.

You can also use sweeping to play scalar passages. And sweeping is also part of the technique known as economy picking. Economy picking is combining alternate picking with sweep picking in order to get the most efficient possible motion happening as you cross from a series of notes on one string to the next string.

I have two tutorials on sweep picking technique, an intermediate one & an advanced one. I have filmed High-Definition updates to these & hope to have them up and running before long!

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=408
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=211
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 3
shred-zombie
shred-zombie
05/25/2010 12:33 am
it would help if you could tell more specifically what part of the technique you have problems with.

Start with smaller shapes first (3 strings) and make sure they are clean first (follow the advice in the post above). After you get more comfortable with them, begin practicing 4 and 5 string arpeggio patterns etc.
# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/14/2010 1:50 pm
As promised, here is the first of my High-Def reshoots on the topic of Sweep picking:

Sweep Picking Series 1: The Basics
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=985

This one covers the basic technique of sweeping using a chord progression of major triads & then one of minor triads. So you get the basic idea, then apply it to major & minor chords, then move it around the neck.

Finally, you get to practice along with a backing track at a slower speed first, then a little faster!

I have five more tutorials on the way that will build on this first one, getting gradually more advanced. Have fun sweeping. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.