can anyone give me any tips on how to master sweep picking
tnx =)
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/19/2010 1:48 pm
Originally Posted by: guitarmaddnessok well ive been playing guitar for sbout 3 years now
and ive decided to go in the way of technique
ive wanted to be able to sweep pick for ages
can anyone give me any tips on how to master sweep picking
tnx =)

The idea behind sweep picking is to get the most harmonic or melodic information (notes) into the smallest amount of time. In most cases, the notes in a sweeping picking passage outline chord tones, going quickly through all the notes of a chord. That's is why they are frequently called arpeggios, a chord in which the notes are not played together but instead one after another. Arpeggio is Italian for "broken chord".

This technique is called "sweeping", because you pick ("sweep") across the strings in one continuous motion in one direction. By slightly muting the strings with your right hand behind the note you just picked you can get a clean articulation. The left hand must also follow the picking motion closely. You can also reverse direction and start sweeping the other direction.

You can also use sweeping to play scalar passages. And sweeping is also part of the technique known as economy picking. Economy picking is combining alternate picking with sweep picking in order to get the most efficient possible motion happening as you cross from a series of notes on one string to the next string.

I have two tutorials on sweep picking technique, an intermediate one & an advanced one. I have filmed High-Definition updates to these & hope to have them up and running before long!

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=408
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=211

(Looks like Sweeping is popular today!)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Jarsew
Jarsew
05/19/2010 3:34 pm
Originally Posted by: CSchlegel(Looks like Sweeping is popular today!)
This is actually like the 4-5th thread about sweeping in the past few days... We only need one thread on sweep picking! Some moderator may as make a sticky on the basic technique.

Well at least kids these days are going in the technical direction of guitar. For awhile I was afraid everyone would get stuck in the rut of GreenDay/Nirvana. Where if you progressed in technique more than necessary to write a 3 powerchord song you were ridiculed! Outrageous.
# 3
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
05/19/2010 3:38 pm
Originally Posted by: JarsewWhere if you progressed in technique more than necessary to write a 3 powerchord song you were ridiculed! Outrageous.

It was envy. They couldn't do it so they made fun of it. Personally, I blame Hollywood. They are the ones who pump and promote this lack luster style of music.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 4
Jarsew
Jarsew
05/19/2010 4:07 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerIt was envy. They couldn't do it so they made fun of it. Personally, I blame Hollywood. They are the ones who pump and promote this lack luster style of music.

Ah yes, very true.

Even though the tables have turned, and almost every metal band out there is sweep picking and writing somewhat complex music, it almost seems like that is the current fad these days. Completely the opposite of just years ago. Its almost like bands are trying be more complex than the next band, just so they could brag that they are faster and have better technique.

I appreciate complexity in music, but this current fad is just... strange. Dont know how to take it.
# 5
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
05/19/2010 4:12 pm
I'm trying to accept it, but it's still just missing something. I just find all nu-metal is so blah, so cookie cutter. They all sound the same to me. And it all lacks interest. There is nothing fun to listen to anymore. There's a lack of thrilling rhythms.. Ugh... I dunno, what ever.
# 6
Jarsew
Jarsew
05/19/2010 5:01 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerI'm trying to accept it, but it's still just missing something. I just find all nu-metal is so blah, so cookie cutter. They all sound the same to me. And it all lacks interest. There is nothing fun to listen to anymore. There's a lack of thrilling rhythms.. Ugh... I dunno, what ever.
I understand for the most part. I actually have been listening to a lot of 60-70's progressive rock stuff, because I'm not finding much new stuff that turns me on.

Although one newer band sticks out like a sore thumb in my opinion, and I love them frankly. They are classical/progressive metal based. They use odd time signatures in a very unique matter... meaning that is actually flows with a song and they dont do it simply to try and be different. And his vocals for the most part are 80's rock influenced, with some screaming here and there :D

Heres a link if your curious. I personally would like to hear of your opinion of them if you wouldnt mind. To get an outside perspective I suppose...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WupES7LHZU&feature=related
# 7
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/19/2010 7:07 pm
The beginning of that Wretch song reminded me a lot of Symphony X with them matching the bass drum and guitar playing. I didn't really care for the singing though. Sounds like a lot of the newer bands that try to "sing/scream" and end up sounded weird (just according to my opinion and tastes). After a while the song sounded like it was just dragging the same thing on. It was cool though. More back to the prog metal roots than most bands today.
# 8
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
05/19/2010 8:21 pm
It was ok, not really my style. It's borderline speed metal which is something that I personally never cared for. I'm much more of a hard rock, heavy rhythm, heavy metal style guy.

Even Dream Theater, who I greatly admire can get to be a little much for me at times.
# 9
Jarsew
Jarsew
05/19/2010 10:05 pm
I can talk to my friends about music and whatnot, but they are not musicians. Talking music from musician to musician is a whole 'nother perspective.

So what I am saying is thank you for listening :D. Its always interesting to hear what musicians think about the music you listen to. The ordinary person would criticize with no substance; "I like it", I hate it", "too sad", "too happy" etc.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.