Private Investigation

sherif_shaaban
sherif_shaaban
02/03/2002 3:37 pm
Hi all. I have a question for the pioneers of musical theory. What are the chord substitutions did Mark Knopfler use to make the prograssion of 'Private Investigation'? The chords of the song are:

Em, Bm, Bm, A
G, F, B7, Em
Edim, Am6, B7, Em

(they will be familiar to those who know the song).

I know the common chord substitution rules, but they couldn't explain the chord changes for me.
Thanks in advance.....

Sherif
Sherif Shaaban (Dr_Frankenstein™)
# 1
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
02/04/2002 5:19 pm
Nice chord progression!
I am a fan of Mark Knopfler but I'm not sure I recognize this song, at least not by name. Here's a couple of things that are happening theoretically.
1) your in the key of Eminor, fluctauting between the natural minor (B-) and the harmonic minor (B7).
2) the A major chord exists inside the E melodic minor scale.
3) the G F E- part outlines an E phrygian tonality.
4) The A-6 chord is just an inversion of F#-7b5, which is the 2 chord to the B7, which takes you back to E-. All of this comes from the harmonic minor.
5) the E dim chord has me confused, it doesn't even sound good when I play the chord progression. Are you sure this is the right chord? Is it Edim7 ? how is he voicing it?

Well, anyway, thats my harmonic analysis of it, don't know if thats what Mark was thinking when he wrote it though. Minor keys are nice cause you can do a lot w/them harmonically......bye
# 2
sherif_shaaban
sherif_shaaban
02/04/2002 9:19 pm
Thanks a lot, cool mood. Actually Edim sounds good in the song, which is - by the way - is Dire Strait's, from the album 'Love over Gold', released in 1982, not a solo by Mark Knopfler as my message implied. I can send you the intro as a Windows Media format via e-mail if you don't mind. Thanks again.
# 3
sherif_shaaban
sherif_shaaban
02/04/2002 9:22 pm
I'm sorry...your name is chris mood, not cool mood ;-) I think I need to check my vision :-)
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.