Good mod guitar.

Megajazzer
Megajazzer
05/11/2010 4:04 am
I'd like to purchase a guitar that's excellent for modding. Basically, I plan to replace everything on it except for the wood, haha. So, are there any cheap model guitars that have good tonewoods and are made exceptionally well?
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/11/2010 11:17 pm
Originally Posted by: MegajazzerI'd like to purchase a guitar that's excellent for modding. Basically, I plan to replace everything on it except for the wood, haha. So, are there any cheap model guitars that have good tonewoods and are made exceptionally well?

Sure, lots of them. But what kind of guitar are you after? What do you want to do with it? What kind of new gear do you want to replace the old stuff with? What style of music do you want to play on it?

You should have those questions in mind beforehand so you know what is possible. For example, in general Fender Strat/Squire guitars are good for modding, but only if you know what will fit in the cavity. But Gibson/Epiphone style guitars are not as easy to refit unless you get stuff exactly the same size or you are willing to do woodwork.

You might consider a DIY kit, too! :)

http://www.projectguitar.com/ref/supply.htm

Have a look here for all kinds of great stuff:

http://www.stewmac.com
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/12/2010 1:07 am
Also, what is considered "cheap" to you? Do you have a price range in mind?
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/12/2010 1:17 pm
Sounds like you are just replacing components, so choice of guitar is entirely up to you. As mentioned, if you have a plan, it will go better for you, since you'll be able to pick a guitar that matches the objective somewhat.

In the most general sense, I would suggest any guitar with a full pick guard. That way you can do a "swimming pool" route, and experiment with all combinations and placement of pickups and electronics.

The greatest expense will then be new pick guard material (should get 2 from a $13 3-ply sheet). You can build any style of guitar, then change your mind and "build" another by making a new pick guard.

In more specific approach, go for a body wood traditionally used in the objective guitar. ie: mahogany for your LP style (maple cap if desired), and alder for your Strat style.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
Megajazzer
Megajazzer
05/13/2010 4:56 pm
Ah, thanks. =D I'm gonna look for a good strat on craigslist I guess. I've got a bunch of extra mods that I wanna try, heh heh. Thanks again!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.