View post (What exactly do you practice?)

View thread

JStewart
I Walk the Line
JStewart
I Walk the Line
04/27/2010 2:47 pm
Originally Posted by: GWHITCHWhat is the best way to get my chord changes faster? Will practice make that evolve into a smoother transition between chords? My fingers have not decided to follow my thinking yet.

The key to chord changes are looking for connectors. Not all chord progressions will have connectors but if they do they are mega easy to make. They key to get your fingers to do what your brain wants them to do is to record the movement slowly at 100% accuracy. I am talking start off so slowly that it is literally impossible for you to make a mistake and go out of time, something ridiculous like 50 beats per minute. Always use a metronome or a background beat to practice so you stay in time.

Pick 4 chords something easy like G, Em, C, D. Start off with a single strum for four beats then switch chords and go through all 4 twice. Then move to a half strum which would look like D Du, and move through those same chords again staying in time. Do this slowly at 100% accuracy to give your brain time to record the movements correctly. Once you can do this with no problems at 50 beats move it up to 60 beats, then up to 80 beats and keep moving up until you can do this with your eyes closed at any speed with 100% accuracy.

This will take time but make sure you are challenging yourself. Set your metronome to a speed where it will take your utmost concentration to get it right but not so fast that it become impossible to stay in time. This will work for you it works for anyone. And practice everyday at least 15 - 20 minutes. Everyone can find that small amount of time to work it in. Good luck and keep on keepin on my friend
God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
God say, “No.” Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin’ you better run”
Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61”