What exactly do you practice?

Jarsew
Jarsew
04/15/2010 5:19 pm
This was briefly brought up in another thread, but I thought the subject deserved its own thread.

After years of experience and reading/watching countless interviews on my favorite musicians, it seems that whatever you practice is exactly what you'll master.

Pretty obvious right? Well it wasnt for me for awhile and I dont think it is for a lot of people.

It mainly clicked for me when I read an interview of a musician. He said that he wasnt one of those guys that was shredding scales and learning his bands favorite songs, instead spent hours upon hours writing his own songs. And this is the pattern I see within my favorite songwriters.

For me, I believed for a long time throughout my teen years that the more I shredded scales and learned as many songs as I could, I would naturally start writing awesome music. But man ill tell ya thats not the case. My writing techniques are crap, to be frank. And I literally have to pry a good riff (let alone a whole song) out of my brain with a crowbar. But the more I did that prying, the more it started coming a little easier and naturally because thats what I was practicing.

So If you want to be the fastest shredder... just for the sake of being the fastest shredder (a Rusty Cooley type comes to mind) than shred them scales for hours. If you want to have awesome impov skills, well improvise for hours. And of course, if you want to write music (and actually like what your writing..), well you have write music for hours. You get what you practice for!
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
04/15/2010 6:11 pm
You will no doubt get better at the things you practice most....that's pretty obvious by the concept of practicing. If you practice something, then you'll get good at it. Are you just pointing that out?

I wouldn't go as far as to say "whatever you practice is exactly what you'll master" though. It is up to you to take what you practice and apply it to other areas. That is what's going to make you a better musician. If you practice scales all day, it isn't worth much if at the end of the day you ONLY know scales.
# 2
Jarsew
Jarsew
04/15/2010 7:37 pm
I suppose it was a post for the beginners; To not get caught up in learning hundreds of songs and playing scales fast will automatically get you where you want.

Personally, that wasnt obvious to me to for quite a while. I assumed once I was playing fast and playing Megadeths Rust in Peace album from start to finish with every solo, I would be writing just as well. That it would just happen naturally.

But nope, I got exactly what I practiced for, nothing more. And I just wanted beginners to know to not make the same mistake.

I'm sure others have ran straight into the same brick wall that I did...?
# 3
hunter1801
hunter1801
04/15/2010 7:49 pm
I guess so. I did the same with Metallica when I first started (until I discovered Megadeth haha). If you can play all of RIP including solos then I'm extremely impressed. Lots of hard stuff I can't do on that album. Lucretia is a bitch and The last part of the Tornado of Souls solo just doesn't quite come out for me.
# 4
Jarsew
Jarsew
04/15/2010 7:53 pm
Dude Martys solo section on Lucretia is still one of my all time favs. Im going to listen to that right now...
# 5
Jays.traas
Jays.traas
04/16/2010 7:21 am
I think I went in reverse to what you've done Jarsew. Spent most of my time working on writing songs, practicing my creativity, technique etc.

Now I'm having to work on improving my speed and improvisation skills.
# 6
GWHITCH
GWHITCH
04/16/2010 6:58 pm
What is the best way to get my chord changes faster? Will practice make that evolve into a smoother transition between chords? My fingers have not decided to follow my thinking yet.
# 7
hunter1801
hunter1801
04/16/2010 7:22 pm
Originally Posted by: GWHITCHWill practice make that evolve into a smoother transition between chords?

Of course...
# 8
compart1
compart1
04/17/2010 1:53 am
Originally Posted by GWHITCH
Will practice make that evolve into a smoother transition between chords?

Practice will make them smoother ..
These tutorials by Lisa McCormick will help get chord changes even better..

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=484
# 9
Jarsew
Jarsew
04/19/2010 4:49 pm
Originally Posted by: GWHITCHWhat is the best way to get my chord changes faster? Will practice make that evolve into a smoother transition between chords? My fingers have not decided to follow my thinking yet.

Yup, practice is all it is. Theres not really a trick or anything, probably some good exercies on this site somewhere, but it really boils down to repetition.

It was actually embarrassing almost when I would practice a solo or something around my friends. Because I would learn the first bar of the solo, and I wouldnt proceed until I had it down. And within that, If it was an odd fingering, I would have to learn half a bar at a time. So they would hear me playing over and over the same exact section until I got it down and be laughing because it would sound really goofy. Then I would move to the next bar and do that same thing. Once I got that, I would play both bars together until they were played smoothly, then moved to the third bar etc etc.

So same thing with chord changes. Learn how to play chord to chord first, than actually start playing it all together. Just strict repetition is all it is.
# 10
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/26/2010 10:34 pm
It all really depends on the kind of musician you want to be. If you are really into metal, than getting your rhythm guitar chops down and running your scales really is what you want to work out to match that intensity. If you love jazz, than transcribing, improvising over standards, and knowing every chord voicing is where your focus should be. I do know that for some people that isn't so simple, as we all have a wealth of different influences and interests.

With that being said, I feel there are some things that everyone should be able to do on the instrument. Regardless of style or preference; there are certain aspects to playing that I feel can benefit any player of any style. I am the type of player that loves it all. Where as I certainly veer towards some styles more than others, I love all styles of music and will always be a student of the instrument. Below is a list of things I practice all the time, and I feel are fundamental that all guitarists should work to be able to do. These are in no particular order.

1. Triads
- These really are the shapes to know on the instrument. Knowing each triad shape for every major and minor chord will really get you a long way. It is important to get out of playing large chord shapes all the time when you don't need too. If you are playing by yourself, fine. But, with other instruments involved knowing how to get to your triad shapes is really a great skill. Here are a few lessons I have done on this concept that will get you going.

Intro to Major Triads and Inversions

Intro to Minor Triads

2. Play all 12 Keys from One Spot
- This was an exercise I learned from a guitar player I took lessons from named Tim Young. Essentially, you start on the Low E string and pick a note. From there you play up and down all 12 keys from that same spot. You do some major position shifting, but all in all you can get to all 12 keys from that one place. It takes some discipline, but regardless of how long it takes you work through it. It is not as challenging as you think.

3. Know all the Notes
- It is essential to know all the notes on the neck of your guitar. There is simply no way of getting around this. You can practice this so many ways, but I am a fan of the one note game where you simply pick a note and to a metronome play that note every where you can. Pretty straight forward.

4. Sing What You Play
- "Anything you can hum, you can play." I was told this by a teacher about 12 years ago. This is very true. Even if you are not a vocalist yourself, you really should work to match the pitch of any note you play. The deeper understanding you have of this, the easier it will be to get those ideas out of your heard and into people's ears, as well as giving you better skills at learning songs. Star singing!

5. Soloing with Chord Tones
- I have done a tutorial on this concept that will be on the site fairly soon. In short, you essentially only solo playing the notes of the chords you are playing over. Practicing this would either require you play with someone else, or record yourself and jam away. Either way, this concept sounds tedious but is very, very helpful in helping you sound more melodic while also bettering your concept of knowing the guitar neck among many other things.

There is my long winded response to this forum. Whoops! ;)
Douglas Showalter
# 11
JStewart
I Walk the Line
JStewart
I Walk the Line
04/27/2010 2:47 pm
Originally Posted by: GWHITCHWhat is the best way to get my chord changes faster? Will practice make that evolve into a smoother transition between chords? My fingers have not decided to follow my thinking yet.

The key to chord changes are looking for connectors. Not all chord progressions will have connectors but if they do they are mega easy to make. They key to get your fingers to do what your brain wants them to do is to record the movement slowly at 100% accuracy. I am talking start off so slowly that it is literally impossible for you to make a mistake and go out of time, something ridiculous like 50 beats per minute. Always use a metronome or a background beat to practice so you stay in time.

Pick 4 chords something easy like G, Em, C, D. Start off with a single strum for four beats then switch chords and go through all 4 twice. Then move to a half strum which would look like D Du, and move through those same chords again staying in time. Do this slowly at 100% accuracy to give your brain time to record the movements correctly. Once you can do this with no problems at 50 beats move it up to 60 beats, then up to 80 beats and keep moving up until you can do this with your eyes closed at any speed with 100% accuracy.

This will take time but make sure you are challenging yourself. Set your metronome to a speed where it will take your utmost concentration to get it right but not so fast that it become impossible to stay in time. This will work for you it works for anyone. And practice everyday at least 15 - 20 minutes. Everyone can find that small amount of time to work it in. Good luck and keep on keepin on my friend
God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
God say, “No.” Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin’ you better run”
Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61”
# 12
Jarsew
Jarsew
05/03/2010 8:29 pm
Good post Showalter! I agree 100%, all of those are essential no matter which path you take in guitar.
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.