View post (What exactly do you practice?)

View thread

Jarsew
Jarsew
04/19/2010 4:49 pm
Originally Posted by: GWHITCHWhat is the best way to get my chord changes faster? Will practice make that evolve into a smoother transition between chords? My fingers have not decided to follow my thinking yet.

Yup, practice is all it is. Theres not really a trick or anything, probably some good exercies on this site somewhere, but it really boils down to repetition.

It was actually embarrassing almost when I would practice a solo or something around my friends. Because I would learn the first bar of the solo, and I wouldnt proceed until I had it down. And within that, If it was an odd fingering, I would have to learn half a bar at a time. So they would hear me playing over and over the same exact section until I got it down and be laughing because it would sound really goofy. Then I would move to the next bar and do that same thing. Once I got that, I would play both bars together until they were played smoothly, then moved to the third bar etc etc.

So same thing with chord changes. Learn how to play chord to chord first, than actually start playing it all together. Just strict repetition is all it is.