leaning your guitar?

Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
03/30/2010 2:54 pm
When you are not putting your guitar on a stand and you need to put it down for a second.....is it better for the neck to lean it fretboard down or the back of the neck down? And how far down?...know what I mean?

For example my guitar is leaning against my couch right now....the fretboard is down against the couch and the point of impact against the couch (for lack of a better word) is about 1/4 way down the neck. I was also told that leaning it fretboard down lessens the risk of the tuners getting moved.

Its not like its going to sit there for a long time. Its usually on a stand, but I was told that it can effect the neck?

so which is the best way...when not using a stand. Is any of this true?

Thanks
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/30/2010 3:01 pm
If I can't lean the top of the headstock against the wall (or whatever) then it leans backward. Reason: I would never lean against the fretboard itself. (Although nice, soft couch cushions wouldn't bother me or it.)

If it's against a wall, then it's leaning forward against the headstock. Reason: I never see an old neck bowed backward (away from the fretboard), so I always think to counter the string tension. (And it's true about the tuning pegs, too.)

If it is on a stand, then the neck support is lowered as far as I can get it for the same string tension reasons.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
shredhead_x
shredhead_x
04/05/2010 6:45 pm
I tend to lean mine against a flat surface at a slight angle if I'm not putting them onto a stand and they're still needing to be used. Generally though they're on stands or in a rack, but when it can't be avoided I lean them, fretboard facing outwards, gently against something I know won't damage it. I tend not to worry about tuners being moved as long as my precious won't fall over ;)
I'll see the light tonight... flashing through the sky...

===

Learn to Play Guitar eBook - Free Download at http://www.guitarmusiclessons.org/
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.