Latest Facebook GT lesson

SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
02/09/2010 12:28 pm
I've just been on Facebook today and seen the link to -

Metalheads! This week's free guitar lesson, 3-note per string shred! http://www.guitartricks.com/courselesson.php?input=bT8zbjBmZzYxNg==

When I looked at the lesson I was surprised to see errors in the Tab -

In the first line the 1st and 7th notes should be on the 5th fret (the tab says 6th fret).
To quote the sentence at the bottom of the page "The 1st line of Tab shows the A Natural Minor Scale laid out for 3 notes per string, starting at the 5th fret."
At a glance there are more errors further down but my music reading skills aren't that good so I'll leave them for an expert to examine.

This lesson was added to the GT site October 26th 2008 so I'm surprised this hasn't been picked up by someone already and corrected!

This looks like a bad example to post on Facebook as any potential subscribers would surely be put off by such inaccuracies. It implies they're likely to be all through the site!! It also worries me as I'm in the middle of Rock Primer 2 and I want to be able to trust the Tabs while I'm learning and progressing.

Worried Subscriber here.....!
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Youtube Channel - Jim47ww[/FONT]
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
02/09/2010 10:47 pm
That is weird, because Don Madison himself made the tab, and you'd think he'd know what the correct tab would be.

I will run it by our chief transcriber.

Thanks for letting us know!
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Jon64
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Jon64
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/10/2010 4:01 am
Hello,

Thanks for letting us know about this.

It seems that the problem is a question of image clarity rather than instructor error. I've looked over the tab, and I agree that some of the fives look an awful lot like sixes. You'll notice in the regular notation that the correct notes are in place. Most notation programs are synched so that as you write in tab, the notation auto-fills...or vice versa.

We will look into this to see if we can improve the resolution of these transcriptions.

Jon Dainius
# 3
SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
02/10/2010 9:44 am
Hi

I see your point about the tab being filled in automatically when you put notation in and vice versa and see that the issue must be in the image clarity. Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this!

Those 5’s and 6’s really are difficult to tell apart and when you’re concentrating on the fretboard and how the notes sound it’s very tricky to pick up the apparent transposition of these two numbers on the screen.

I’m grateful for you saying you would look into improving the clarity of the Tabs. I’ll be mindful of the problem in future.

Thanks again and apologies for my jumping to the wrong conclusion.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Youtube Channel - Jim47ww[/FONT]
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.