Tuning with Harmonics

Passey01
Full Access
Passey01
Full Access
02/07/2010 1:54 am
I know there is a lesson that Chris has for "Tuning With The Guitar Tricks Reference Tuner" but I have seen a lot of people tune using Harmonics. Have you guys thought about adding a lesson on how to do that? I am just learning how to tune that way vs. reference tuning and it has been a struggle to figure it out. A lesson may help others. Just a thought...
# 1
jedft
jedft
02/07/2010 7:11 pm
Tuning with harmonics has always seemed faster and more accurate, to me anyway, but you still have to start with at least one reference tuned string. After that, though it's pretty simple as long as you already know how to play harmonics. 5th fret harmonic to 7th fret harmonic from E to A string. Same with A to D and D to G. Then to tune the B do an open B string and the 7th fret harmonic on the low E. For high E use the 5th fret harmonic on the low E (6th string) to open high E (1st string).
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/08/2010 2:53 am
Originally Posted by: Passey01I know there is a lesson that Chris has for "Tuning With The Guitar Tricks Reference Tuner" but I have seen a lot of people tune using Harmonics. Have you guys thought about adding a lesson on how to do that?

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a good idea.

It is a more advanced skill to be sure. That is why it is not in the Fundamentals courses. Tuning with a tuner is much more reliable and objectively measureable. Especially for beginners!

Hope this helps.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/15/2010 5:58 pm
Using harmonics is better when you are still using a tuner. Often times people will tune at the 12th fret harmonic instead of using the open string, as that is a more accurate spot on the guitar neck to reference. I am assuming you are talking about people tuning from the 5th fret on one string against the 7th fret on the next, which you can do on all but the G string when tuning against the B string. This works when you already have the guitar in tune and need to do a quick tune on one string or so. You still need a tuner unless you have perfect pitch or perhaps a keyboard near by where you can reference one or more strings.

Stick with the tuner and try tuning with your 12th fret harmonic next time. Good luck! :o
Douglas Showalter
# 4
recordist
recordist
02/16/2010 8:02 pm
I've always tuned with harmonics...it does seem more accurate
# 5
jaapk
jaapk
02/22/2010 10:30 am
I am using the peavey 15 amp and on it is a tuner. It shows with small LED's if you are too high or too low on the respective string. Once you are in tune it shows a circle of green lights.

Can anyone tell me how accurate this tuning method is?

Thanks in advance.

Jan
# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/22/2010 4:49 pm
Originally Posted by: jaapkCan anyone tell me how accurate this tuning method is?

Electronic tuners are very reliable. The only trouble you will have with it is if your guitar is not properly intonated. But in that case no tuning method will work for you!

If your guitar is not intonated, then after you tune (using any method) and you play it, some (or all) chords will sound out of tune.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 7
jaapk
jaapk
02/22/2010 4:53 pm
Thanks for the reply Christopher.

Regards,

Jan
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.