Is there a "best way" to start learning theory.

Twangerdanger
Twangerdanger
01/07/2010 4:09 am
Hey Guys!

Some of you have seen some of my posts and some have not:

I have played for years, but know very little about theory. I have played in bands and have learned many songs, but never took the time or effort to learn what I was actually doing. Most everyone that I have ever played with were self taught and didn't know any theory, but I am just tired of not knowing anything.

My only theory has been, if I hit a bad note, move up or back a fret and I will be in key. It has worked for many years, but now I have more time to really learn.

When I go online and "Google" music theory, there is a ton of stuff that starts popping up and I don't know exactly where to start.

If someone has been playing for a while, do you start at the same place as a beginner? Is there a better place for me to start, so that I won't get too burned out and just quit? I hate to go back to playing Jingle Bells, if you know what I mean. A lot of times I will come up with a guitar run or lick and just have no idea what to call it. I just call it the Van Halen sounding thing, or the Pink Floyd sounding thing.

Any Suggestions?

Here is an example of the level of playing that I am at right now, if it helps any!

I don't have a clue what the scales or runs are called. If sounds "in key", I just go with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_98MS9IpDZc
# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
01/07/2010 9:11 pm
I don't have a specific book to recommend, but any "Level 1 Music Theory" book or course will have pretty much the same curriculum in it. At my old community college it was broken into 4 semesters of both Written (analysis) and Aural (ear training / writing by ear) Theory. Even one semester of that stuff is enough to get you through most pop / rock songwriting. Suddenly, everything you hear on the radio makes total sense, and you hear every trick there is.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2
Twangerdanger
Twangerdanger
01/09/2010 4:27 am
Thanks for your comments so far! I have got a lot of work to do, but at least now I know where to start.
# 3
dpcrock
dpcrock
01/09/2010 11:39 pm
Hey Twangerdanger that guitar looks familiar to me. Either Strat or Squier talk were I am dugrock. Anyway I'm not as good as you but in the same boat. Just like today, I came up with a chord progression I really like but at least one of the chords is one I can't find on any chord charts I've looked at. I also read up on how to decipher chords but... nothin'. I guess I'm missing something. It seems like it should be an easy one to figure out buuuuut. Here it is, Bar at 5th fret and fret A string at 7th (E) and strum all. Anyone got the answer? Please pitch in. Thanx!
# 4
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/11/2010 2:03 am
I worked through this theory book in college and than went on to study at the school where the book was written. I found this to be very helpful and it includes many exercises you can do to test your skill level. Here is a link below where you can buy the book from amazon.com, as well as seeing reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Harmony-Theory-Comprehensive-Musicians-Essential/dp/0793579910/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263175334&sr=1-2
Douglas Showalter
# 5
Kwote
Kwote
01/26/2010 12:57 am
My suggestion is find a good teacher who can help put things into perspective. Like you mentioned, you don't want to overwhelm yourself. You can learn it while balancing with various exercises that don't really get into theory, Jamming, etc.

A good article on finding a great teacher is here:

http://tomhess.net/Articles/ChoosingATeacher.aspx
# 6
Ed Jalowiecki
Ed Jalowiecki
01/26/2010 2:59 am
If you haven't already, you should start with the major scale and the diatonic chords based on it. So much Western and popular music is based around this scale, that it is essential. Know your pentatonics and blues scale if you're playing rock, country, R&B, etc.

Basically, just learn the theory that underlies the things you already play. That way, you're not overloading yourself with unnecessary information.
# 7
FlyingJbird
FlyingJbird
02/18/2010 10:01 am
Learning music theory would definitely be a great help. Sounds to me like one thing that would be really good to learn is the interaction of scales and chords.

Aka, how to compose a chord, what chords are contained in a given scale, how scales are formed.

So the first thing you should learn is:
1) scales - major and minor first. These are the basis of most blues songs and any genres that come from blues. You want to know how to construct them, and how to play them on guitar.

2) Of course, you also need to know the spaces between different notes, called intervals. Learn how to identify intervals. Once you do, that puts you in a perfect place for learning how to build a chord.

3) Individual notes in a scale can be combined to give you a chord. So check out how to form chords - minor, major, and 7th chords are a good start. If you're into jazz, then you'll want to go more in-depth, and learn 9 chords, flat five chords, fully diminished chords, etc. (these are what give jazz songs such a distinct sound).

4) And then you want to look into how to form chords on guitar - for example, if someone tells you to make an Edom7 chord, how to do that shape. If you learn the above three things really well, this step is pretty easy, since it's just an extension of step 3.

Then from there it's pretty simple. Once you know those things, you can just listen to a song, play a few notes to figure out what scale fits, and then, voila - you then know the key of the song, and what chords are used in that scale, and what sounds good over it.

First:
How to read scale charts (click me!) (though I assume you already know this one)

Constructing major scales

Intervals!

A fun tool to test how well you can pick out intervals by ear

Basic chord building

And once you get that, you can definitely look into more advanced stuff. http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/

PS, it's awesome that you're wanting to learn music theory. Last year, I was against it because I thought it put too many rules on me. But then I realized - music theory isn't really a set of rules. It's a set of tools, that give you a million different options for playing. If it wasn't for music theory, I would still probably still trapped in playing minor pentatonic scales over every song. But music theory showed me a ton of options that I hadn't even considered before - lots of ways to ad flavor and different sounds to your solos and chord progressions. Fun blurb on the awesomeness of music theory

Fun fact: Joe Satriani and Steve Vai are huge fans of modal music theory. In fact, Joe Satriani's favorite scale is the Spanish Gypsy scale.

Final note: If you haven't already, I HIGHLY recommend that you learn where each note is on your guitar. In other words, if I ask you where the G# is on your guitar, you should be able to immediately point out where each G# is on your guitar.
# 8
Ben_Fussel
Ben_Fussel
02/21/2010 11:38 pm
i struggled a long time with learning traditional theory, modes never clicked for me, learning how intervals made up a scale was booooooring. I found reading Fretboard Logic gave me a intuitive, visual representation of the fretboard that's allowed me to develop my knowledge of traditional theory more. It seems like guys who are really about teaching theory traditionally don't like the book, but if you're baffled and struggling, it couldn't hurt to check out. Volume one is really basic, Volume 2 goes more into detail about different scales and chord forms.
# 9
electric circus
electric circus
02/24/2010 2:32 am
if i may add a book to the already suggested,
theory for the contemporary guitarist, by guy capuzzo.
this guy gets you started with a good understanding on how it all works. very easy to read and understand.
another 80s metal fan.
# 10
electric circus
electric circus
02/24/2010 2:51 am
ok going off this topic, does this site not teach music theory?
another 80s metal fan.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.