Hello... and frustrating question

andy82
andy82
01/20/2002 8:46 am
First I'd like to say Hi to this forum, since its my first post. Secondly I really wonder how guitarist get to the next level. I'm sure the days of my beginner level playing are over, and now stuck on this intermediate stage. What I mean by that is, I've been playing the scales and lots of other different exercises to help my solo-ing along with my metronome.

Well I can pick once per beat on 240bpm, (I can't do multiple picking per beat like my old teacher, if I could I wouldn't be posting this up.) I found the teacher a bit arrogrant so I no longer take lessons, and he seemed to lose the drift of the direction where he was going to lead me.

So what really happens from here? Do I continue doing these exercises and one day I wake up and find my fingers moving like Kirk's? To be honest I do get frustrated doing the scales over hour after hours, day after day (yes.. I'm a guitar obessed madman, just eagered to make it to the next level). So if the pros out there got encouragement, tips on exercise techniques (besides, alternate picking, scales) please do tell.

Help... :(

# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/20/2002 9:54 am
First this, what you are into is called a Rut. You seem to be blocked, and the best thing is to find another teacher, or a friend who has a better level than you do. There are lots of exercices in the trick section of this site, go check some of them.

When you play a note per beat at 240 BPM, You actually play quarter notes at 60 BPM, it's easier to let your hear build itself if you start playing exercices at this kind of tempo.

To let your fingers fly like Kirk's, practice so that you can play what you hear in your head. It'sa long path, but eventually you'll be able to improvise lines. Speed will come in time.
# 2
andy82
andy82
01/20/2002 10:05 am
Rut eh? New terms :D brings me happiness when I learn about new things. So I see where I'm going wrong then, quarter notes on 60s... :confused: I've looked around and found some fun exercises which I'm doing now and feeling very fortuante to have found this site by chance today :D

Don't know about teachers at the moment, since my schedule and the teacher's schedule will clash. Most likly find a friend who's in a band.

Thanks again!
# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/20/2002 10:17 am
you're welcome!
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.