Should I buy another low-wattage amp?

KFS1972
Full Access
KFS1972
Full Access
12/15/2009 1:41 am
Considering another amp after Christmas but I am not sure that I need it. I don't play loud despite my little tag under the avatar. Right now I am using a Roland Microcube (when I actually plug in) and I am thinking of adding a Line6 Spider 3 or 4 @ 15W. If I justify a new amp does it make sense to go to one that is only 15W from the microcube?

Part of the reason I am considering this is by daughter bought herself an Ibanez Micro. So the next question is: what happens when one connect two guitar to the same amp input? Both have passive pickups of that matters.

Finally, Is a bass amp completely incapable of producing guitar sounds. I have access to a 110W bass amp?
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
12/15/2009 2:13 am
It depends on your needs. I remember the band days, we were poor and the guitarists would occasionally need to share an amp. They hated that. Each person likes their own set up & tweakage. Sound quality was just not good.

I say go for it. If a small amp is what fits your needs, then that is what you need. If it helps, I have a 20 watt Peavey, but went out and bought a 5 watt Vibro Champ (which I love!). But I am currently considering another 15 watt to get the Super Champ just because it has channel switching. I really don't need the extra wattage, though.

But I also find myself asking the same question and wondering if I should go bigger anyway. But if I did, it would be useless because I'd never use that volume.

...I bet this is not helping at all :rolleyes:

IMO, you need a second amp. And if a small amp is all you need, that's what you should probably get. I have heard great things about the Spiders. :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/15/2009 2:30 am
Buy what you can actually use. You need a second amp, so get one that fits your needs. This is probably a good time to check out that Line 6 you've been thinking about.

I doubt you have need for a 110 Watts of any king of amp, but back in the day, a lot of guitar players used bass amps. I was one of 'em.

It works. Just roll off the Bass tone control a bit.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Infinite-T
Full Access
Infinite-T
Full Access
12/15/2009 2:44 am
I used to play my guitar thru a Fender Bassman back in my highschool band. I LOVED the sound. like LOTS said, cut back the bass a little, but man did I love that ballsy (if im allowed to say that here) punch. I played a lot of pretty heavy stuff back then. It also sounded pretty sweet clean.

If you are looking at small amps I would put the Vox AC4TV 10 or 8 on that try list. I absolutly LOVE my AC4TV 10. Its all class A tube and sounds really awesome for the stuff I play now (rock, classic rock, blues and classic metal). Has a built in attenuator so you can cut back or kick out more volume without changing your tone.
# 4
caponi14
caponi14
12/17/2009 11:31 am
Hello :)
A Line 6 spider 3 30 watts, which i have is actually really really good!!! You should really consider that! It's got a great variaty in sounds you can get.

Good luck
# 5
KFS1972
Full Access
KFS1972
Full Access
12/20/2009 2:32 pm
I will probably give the bass amp a try first then decide. The bass amp has zero effects but it will be free to "borrow indefinitely".

I may still get the spider but it will probably be the 15W variety.
# 6
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
12/22/2009 4:03 pm
Hey KFS1972,
I know you probably don't feel like it's an issue now, but what if in the future you decide to start playing gigs.

15 watts won't even get you off stage, and would totally get covered up in a practice session.

As I said I know it's not an issue now, but it is something to think about. If you join a band in the next year playing rhythm, then you would have to get another amp to play gigs.

That is the situation I was in when I first went on the road. I didn't plan it at all, it just so happened I was available to help out a friend. We realized during the first soundcheck that my little practice amp was not going to get the job done.

You may not need the volume all the time, but it's nice to have it if you do. It's your decision to make, but I would go with something with a little more power.

Have a merry Christmas, and a happy new year.
# 7
KFS1972
Full Access
KFS1972
Full Access
12/30/2009 3:14 pm
I have the bass amp at home now. Its a Peavey Minx 110. Its only a 30W amp(even with 110 in the model name) but it sound like a monster compared to the Microcube. Thats not suprising considering I have read that the cube is ~2W.

As I expected, the highs aren't quite what they are on the small amp but I like the growl that this thing has. It should work well for the Dwight Yoakam songs that I've been playing around with.

Next I need to try using the preamp out of the micro into the peavey and see what that sounds like.

After hearing 30W compared to 2W, I will probably not buy any other amp at less than 30. My next one will more likely be 75+ but that will have to wait, certainly not needed at this point.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.