How much difference do strings make?

ksturgeon
ksturgeon
10/20/2009 10:59 pm
Since I am just starting to learn (at nearly 50 years old) I ended up buying a cheap beginner guitar (Ibanez IJV50) thinking that I should make sure that I'll actually be able to play before investing a large sum of money... I was also in a hurry to get a guitar in my hands and know that I'll want to spend a lot of time researching before I actually buy a "real" guitar. :)

Anyway, I was pretty impressed with the sound on this guitar and it really seems to hold a tune pretty well but just in the last couple days, even though the needle on my electronic tuner is straight up E on the 6th string, it just doesn't sound like it did before. Could this simply be due to the quality of strings? Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what brand and type of strings I should use? Also, should I get in a regular habit of replacing the strings periodically or do you only replace them if one breaks?

Hey btw... I know that eventually I want to buy a good quality acoustic electric; any suggestions regarding that are also greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions offered.
Ken Sturgeon
-------------
[SIZE="1"]Taylor 114ce
Gretsch G5120
[/SIZE]
# 1
Dirty Bill
Dirty Bill
10/20/2009 11:59 pm
Oh boy..there's a lot of strings out there... :rolleyes: You can feel on the string where it bends across the fret. When they are worn,there's a kind of flat spot there. That's when I replace them. The strings most likely to break are the E (1st) and then the B (2nd).

I have broken quite a few E strings, not very many B strings....and I know some one will say it,so I will first..I've never broken a G string.... :D :cool:

Always capitalize "BLUES"

# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
10/21/2009 2:13 am
Ha! G string was my nemisis! I played an unwound G for quite some time on my acoustic because I broke wound ones so often. It did no favours to my guitar, though it has withstood the years quite well. (It was like a peice of aircraft cable :P)

Anyway, I had a bad bridge slot, so nobody else will likely have the same problem.

Getting to the point, ksturgeon, I would suggest at the very least, purchasing a new set of strings asap. Generally what comes from the factory is often crap. Perhaps a "light" set (starting with 11 on the e) would be a good place to start. You could possibly go up to "medium" (13's) with no nut adjustment.

I'd recommend 11's. d'Adarrio. They will be easier to play starting out anyway then a heavier string and you should not have to worry about damaging a nut or strings binding in the slots.

When to change is mostly a matter or your personal taste and how often you play. Some folks have a high tolerance for "dead" strings. You will know when it is time for you. Esp once you hear the difference after a set or two :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 3
STW
STW
10/27/2009 9:23 pm
Elixer is the only brand of acoustic strings I'll use--they're expensive and feel alien for a couple days, but their coating makes them last forever (months) and keeps them from tearing into your fingers.

The coating is only on the round-wound strings, usually I'll buy one full set of elixers and then several replacements for the E & B strings--they get changed when they get rough and the elixer's keep singing.

As for suggestions: It's not an acoustic/electric but the Washburn D-10S has an awesome sound for it's price range, you could buy a drop-in pickup and still leave the store ahead (if you like it).
# 4
ksturgeon
ksturgeon
10/29/2009 11:18 pm
STW, I appreciate your recommendations and will certainly look into both the strings and the Washburn. The guy that leads us at the church I attend has a Washburn and it sounds great. At the rate I'm going though I don't know if my skills will ever warrant a real good guitar. I'm three weeks in and I know all of the Major chords but still find myself struggling, mostly with the B and the F. I wonder if I'll ever get good enough to switch chords quickly.

Thanks again. I appreciate your advice. :)
Ken Sturgeon
-------------
[SIZE="1"]Taylor 114ce
Gretsch G5120
[/SIZE]
# 5
Dirty Bill
Dirty Bill
10/29/2009 11:52 pm
Check out the ovation celebrity.I have one,it sounds good,and the price isn't too bad on them. :cool:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c602--Ovation--Acoustic_Electric_Guitars

Always capitalize "BLUES"

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.