video download extremely slow

hendrikswan
hendrikswan
10/06/2009 7:21 pm
Hi,

I've got a decent speed dsl line, and usually don't have any problems streaming/downloading video.

When I try and stream a video on guitar tricks, it's way too slow to watch. And after a few minutues it stops downloading, show a 100% download status and just ends the video 1/4 of the way.

I've tried downloading the videos onto my local drive, but it's extremely slow as well. The one 40MB file took me over 20 mins to download, usually on my line it will take less than a minute.

There is something seriously wrong with the video download speeds on this site. The rest of the site is really professional, but the video streaming is not up to scratch.

I think there might be something wrong with the ISP where this site is hosted.

If this doesn't improve, I'll have to cancel my membership, which is unfortunate because I like the content, or at least I think I do - I haven't managed to view a full video yet.
# 1
Infinite-T
Full Access
Infinite-T
Full Access
10/07/2009 12:55 am
Hi man, welcome to the site. I have been using it for several months now and love it. It has really improved my playing beyond what i could hope for.

You are right, there is something wrong with the video streaming right now. Usually it is very quick and I watch them ion hi-res instantly. I live in the seattle area and have Comcasts premium internet which is the fastest privatly available in our area.

Just today I tried to go and do some lessons and the video is really slow. It will play for a few seconds, then stop for about 30 sec, then pick up for a few seconds then stop again..etc. If I stop it and let the loading bar go all the way up, then play it. the video stops about 1/3 thru totally. I dont know what is up, this is the first time it's happened since Ive been using the site.

I tried a dozen different videos in different lessons and such with the same issue. Again, I dont know what is up right now, but this isnt normal and will hopefully be fixed soon. I need my fix :)
# 2
MilehighMichael
MilehighMichael
10/07/2009 2:31 am
I have tried in the last few minutes to download a couple of different videos and they stop a quarter of the way through, if it gets that far and then gives me the screen with the red play arrow and all of the other instructions.

I have Comcast DSL as well and rely on a fast connection for my job, based on the other comments I am not the only one having problems.

Will someone from Guitar Tricks let us know if you are having any issues, please.

Thanks
MilehighMichael
Denver
# 3
Infinite-T
Full Access
Infinite-T
Full Access
10/07/2009 3:28 am
Before I when to GT today to do some lessons, I remembered there was a site I had been to that said that my flash player needed to update. So i let it update. It worked on that site, but when I got here to GT I had the problems listed above.

I read around on some outside forums and such about these symptoms and it all came back as a flash problem. So is what I did was closed IE, went to control panel and uninstalled flash completely. Then whent back online and downloaded/reinstalled flash. I was away for about an hour, cam back and went to GT and everything seemed to work. Maybe this fixed it, maybe its a fluke and will mess up again, or maybe if there was a problem with the GT servers or something, they cleared up?

It seems to be working OK right now. So maybe this could be something for you guys to try, it only takes a few minuts.
# 4
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
10/07/2009 6:53 pm
Originally Posted by: Infinite-TBefore I when to GT today to do some lessons, I remembered there was a site I had been to that said that my flash player needed to update. So i let it update. It worked on that site, but when I got here to GT I had the problems listed above.

I read around on some outside forums and such about these symptoms and it all came back as a flash problem. So is what I did was closed IE, went to control panel and uninstalled flash completely. Then whent back online and downloaded/reinstalled flash. I was away for about an hour, cam back and went to GT and everything seemed to work. Maybe this fixed it, maybe its a fluke and will mess up again, or maybe if there was a problem with the GT servers or something, they cleared up?

It seems to be working OK right now. So maybe this could be something for you guys to try, it only takes a few minuts.

Thanks for the update on this.

I checked with the server people last night and they said there were no other reports of problems. It can be hard to trace these things, because there are many factors. I doubt it was your flash install, but maybe so.

Are other people still experiencing issues?
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Infinite-T
Full Access
Infinite-T
Full Access
10/08/2009 12:37 am
Hi again, just an update on this issue. I just did some lessons and it worked perfectly. I also clicked around all over the place to different videos and everything seems to be just fine.

Whatever it was seems ok now.
# 6
buffy136
buffy136
10/14/2009 10:33 pm
call me a guitar freak..but I am not only on this site I also have other guitar site..and there is one that I thought we had great upload time , but they went and transferred there video to a top-tier content delivery network..the servers able to send out data faster= faster video REALLY faster video upload..and route them trough quicker net work...the difference is WOW...here I know it is not my high speed...it has to be the delivery network..but hey I love the instructors here so I am more then willing to wait for the uploads
# 7
James Roberge
James Roberge
11/22/2009 4:05 am
Hey guys, is anyone still having slow video downloads? I am on a 7mbps cable line, and I cant even stream a GT video on the low bandwidth setting. IT constantly has to stop and buffer more video before continuing. I can watch HD youtube, with no problems, and have no other problems with download speeds on other sites. Is this a GT issue, or just me?

I am pretty new here, and the lessons are great, but having to pause a video and waiting 2-3 minutes for it to load can really put the brakes on things.
# 8
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
11/23/2009 10:49 pm
James,
We actually switched video hosting companies in between the previous reports and your new one.

Yours is the only new one.

Still having trouble? Sometimes there is isolated local trouble, that can be difficult to figure out.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 9
skinsman
skinsman
11/29/2009 12:46 pm
I'm in Australia and have been a member for 5 months. Initially the video downloads were about the same speed as YouTube, but got noticeably slower a month or two back. It seems to be getting worse - right now I'm trying to download a 40Mb video from Guitar Tricks and am getting only 10-15kB/sec. It will take over an hour, and that's pretty normal now! That's whether downloading to hard disk or viewing in the web page. I have to set lessons downloading ahead of time, and come back hours later to view them even when nothing else is using my bandwidth. I regularly get 250kB/sec on torrent downloads by the way.

I hope this can be fixed soon.

Steve
# 10
compart1
compart1
11/29/2009 10:10 pm
Hi Skinsman..
I just tried a download in rock guitar.. It took about 3 seconds to take me to rock tutorials and about 17 seconds to download the lessons.. I have no idea a what rate it does it, or how big the file size..
It just took 8 second for the jams track player to load..
I have an occassionly slow load but under the minute mark..
I've never tried a DL to my hard drive..
I hope you figure it out.. Good luck
Compart1
# 11
skinsman
skinsman
11/30/2009 1:20 am
Thanks for the info compart1. Since your results are so good I just tried downloading at work (something I don't like to do normally!) and all is OK - I got 150 - 200kB/sec. So I guess the problem is with my home connection somehow, which is strange since I get good download rates everywhere else.
# 12
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
11/30/2009 9:13 pm
Originally Posted by: skinsmanThanks for the info compart1. Since your results are so good I just tried downloading at work (something I don't like to do normally!) and all is OK - I got 150 - 200kB/sec. So I guess the problem is with my home connection somehow, which is strange since I get good download rates everywhere else.

That is really interesting.

We are working with a new company, who has better tech support than the old company.

If you can give me some info about your two connections, I can see what they say about it. Use the contact form on the site and send us:

work ip address
home ip address

If you don't know your ip address, go to www.whatismyip.com

And I will see if we can at least find something out.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 13
MIKE 95
BLACKOUT 4 EVA
MIKE 95
BLACKOUT 4 EVA
12/29/2009 2:03 am
hey guys

i dont have a problem with loading. it takes 3 seconds and it doesn't stop.
(note i have an imac)

MIKE
bullet for my valentine 4 eva !!!!!!!!!
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.