hey you drummers...

Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
10/04/2009 2:45 pm
I know there are a few drummers kicking around in this group and I have a basic question(s) for you. I have a beginner Tama set in the basement but it hasnt gotten much love lately.

I got the set for my girlfriend but she never has time to play so I want to start banging around on it more and work on some rhythm skills. How often should they be tuned and how often do the heads get replaced. How do you know they need to be tuned? As I said this is just for fun....its about a year and a half old now they are down there. Thanks!
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
10/04/2009 4:40 pm
I'm sure there are people here that can help, even though it's a guitar forum. You might want to try some drum forums though. I went to www.onlinedrummer.com when I started playing drums.
# 2
guitarplayer196
guitarplayer196
10/06/2009 12:02 am
Originally Posted by: ItsmesillyI know there are a few drummers kicking around in this group and I have a basic question(s) for you. I have a beginner Tama set in the basement but it hasnt gotten much love lately.

I got the set for my girlfriend but she never has time to play so I want to start banging around on it more and work on some rhythm skills. How often should they be tuned and how often do the heads get replaced. How do you know they need to be tuned? As I said this is just for fun....its about a year and a half old now they are down there. Thanks!

Quite honestly if your just messing around, you really dont need to tune them or change the heads at all. If they sound really bad right now - If you know a local drummer, have them help you put some new heads on it, properly dampen them, tune them (which entails tightening all the lugs equally around the head-you do this by listening to a hit close to the lug and making sure they all sound the same), and thats it.

Case in point, I have a Yamaha recording custom that I bought in the early 90s and I haven't tuned it or replaced the heads since i originally bought it. I now mainly play guitar but stil lfart around on my set once in awhile.

Tune is not like a guitar where it has to be done often.
"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if its the right one and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes." Les Paul - 2002
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.