trouble with a flange

sixstringshredda
sixstringshredda
01/13/2002 8:06 pm
trying to add a good flange to my leads, but most settings i try tend to muddy the mix up. im trying to go for that Jake E. Lee Bark at the Moon sound, any advice as far as settings go?

thanks

the prettiest white daisies
soaking up the red...
she always loved daisies;
but they look more like roses now...
# 1
Bardsley
Bardsley
01/23/2002 12:14 pm
Dont know the guy you're talking about, so i'm not sure exactly what sound you're looking for. However, here are some tips. The first thing is, try to be as subtle as possible with effects like flangers. It's easy to get carried away and add heaps of "wet" signal (that is, signal from your guitar going through the effect, as opposed to "dry" - pure guitar signal), but it can easily muddy things up. Secondly, where are you placing your flanger in the mix? AS flange is a time-based effect, so you should always put it after distortion effects. If you are using built-in amp distortion, you can't really avoid this, unless you have an effects loop. The interaction of your distortion with a flange will very quickly muddy things up if you are not careful. The third point is like 1 and 2 put together: be subtle with your distortion too! It's very hard to get clarity of sound if you use heaps of distortion, and it may make it a lot harder to hear the flange tone properly. Hope these tips help.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.