Chat???

lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/13/2002 5:46 pm
last time in a thread, someone mentioned having a chat room where we could discuss musical ideas... I personally feel that sometimes, e-mails go back and forth so fast that I'd like to have a chat room where we could really write and see what others say but without having to wait...
The forum format is pretty good for technical questions, where you need research, but a chat I think, is something else... What do you guys think?
# 1
SoS
SoS
01/14/2002 10:43 am
I agree 100% i just finished reading that thread and if this site had a chat room i'd be on here twice as much. But i feel that introducing the chat we may find the forums being used less and less so i was thinking if it was possible there could be a time of the day and night the chat rooms open so we ALL meet there instead of going into the chat to find no ones there. That way the forums would still be used and we can chat with all the Guitar tricks Members what do you think?

Just to add quickly i find talking to guitarist from all over the world to be a great experience. Christoph we have had some pretty interesting converstations about numerous things, Guitar of course but we also talked about alot more, our lives our origins our experiences heaps of stuff and many laughs as well of the words we use to be quite funny
Throw another shrimp on the barbie mate :D

{SOS}
# 2
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
01/14/2002 8:47 pm
There are two problems with having a chat that would need to be resolved first:

1. Chat rooms take a lot of moderation. You have to have people in there watching things all the time. We would need some super-dedicated volunteers.

2. Chat rooms that have a moderator function builtin are generally not free, and we are not making any money. Someone would have to find a good moderated chat room that we could implement. I doubt that there are any for free left.

So, it can be done, but throwing it back to you guys to see if you are willing to do the real work necessary to find and maintain a good chat room.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/14/2002 9:15 pm
I understand the cost and everything, but couldn't it be something every tuesday from 8 to 10 or whatever, with some kind of schedule, like "this tuesday, ask Jon how he came up with the ideas for this site..." I hope everyone here will try to say what he/she thinks...
Can't you use some chat rooms in major sites? For example in france, you can have a private room in wanadoo (the biggest internet provider), and you can have a link to the room on your site. All it takes is having a bot guarding your site, and you can even let it be invisible to other users, so that anyone can connect from the site, but only from the site... Maybe I'm saying stupid stuff (I don't know a lot about all those stuff) but I think it would be interesting.
# 4
trebledamage
trebledamage
01/20/2002 4:18 pm
What if the chat room was by invitation only? Would that reduce the need for the increased moderation? A chat room would be pretty cool, but I liked the idea of a chatroom only during a limited time period.
:cool:
# 5
progg
progg
01/21/2002 8:36 am
IRC could be an option couldn't it? DalNet has ChanServ and all so you can register the channel.
Don't look at me, swan!
# 6
friskynibbles
friskynibbles
01/21/2002 9:19 pm
IRC is a great idea - BUT - i recommend ircqnet because it is easier for people to access. Just go to http://www.icq.com and follow the ircq-net link (on the right). I've been there for 3yrs and I have some minimal knowledge of op'ing etc. I can be found in #canadaroom and some dutch rooms if anyone cares.
*shrug*
# 7
a_perfect_maynard0050
a_perfect_maynard0050
01/21/2002 9:43 pm
does anybody have aol instant messenger?
"You don't see me, and you will never see me."
# 8
Lightningboy2
Lightningboy2
01/22/2002 12:13 am
I totally agree with you and i believe the main man of the site should look into it.
Cheech
# 9
kristian
kristian
01/25/2002 3:40 am
why dont we just create a different site for us guita-aholics. at least we know each other. out chat room will be the main service in the site... im not "computer smart" so you guys just figure this one out. but whatever you decide, please include me.
# 10
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
02/01/2002 3:29 am
I'm all for the specific time chat room. I think that's a great idea. I work in the computer industry...let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 11
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
02/12/2002 8:10 am
I have a chatscript similar to the "alamak" one - if anyone is interrested...CGI client-pull chats are cool once u got used to them.

and another option would be mIRC (which i´d prefer)

-=[Azrael]=-

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 12
friskynibbles
friskynibbles
02/12/2002 4:44 pm
i use mIRC all the time and don't have anything bad to say about it.
-Daniel
# 13
i.s.marshall
i.s.marshall
02/27/2002 8:14 pm
the idea is sound but alot of thought would have to go into it, the biggest problem i can see is the idea of certain times of the day, or the night for a lot of us the problem is difference in time between us in the uk and europe, and our american freinds across the pond, in some cases there is an 8 hour difference, which obviously means we would not get talkin to our american cousins, unless one the other stays up most of the night, not trying to rubish the idea but the only people who stay up all night, or those in the sex industry, most of us have to go to bed and be at work next day, but its an idea worth knocking around, keep on rockin guys.
# 14
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/02/2002 11:36 pm
I have yet to try mIRC, but that's because I dont' know if there's a Mac Client of it. My proposal is this (which can be some sort of short term solution):

People can simply post a thread called "Chat" with the date and time (so people know when it's active), then fire up AIM and invite themselves into a Buddy Chat called "GuitarTricks."

As people see the thread they can invite themselves into the room. Since it's not officially part of GuitarTricks.com there's no need for moderation, and if somebody does decide to get obnoxious, well the "Ignore" button does a wonderful job of fixing the problem. Also, AIM is a widely used service and supports all kinds of operating systems making it the most accessable chat out there.

[Edited by Raskolnikov on 03-02-2002 at 05:39 PM]
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.